41.

1 month later

Veronica

"Are you okay, Veronica?" My mom asked me as I laid up on the couch, eating hot cheetos.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I put another chip into my mouth, rubbing my stomach with my other hand.

"The food will be done soon." Sincere's mom came into the living room, sitting down on the couch beside my mother.

"So.." She trailed off.

"How does being engaged feel?"

I didn't want to lie to her but I didn't need the family in the middle of our mess because there was still a possibility of being together.

"It's great, I'm excited." I said as believable as possible.

"I'm so happy for you guys." My mother spoke with a smile.

"Where is he anyway?" She asked.

"He should be here soon.." I told them as they both looked at me.

I sighed to myself, shoving more chips into my mouth. It's been a long month being broken up with Sincere. He wasn't breaking for anything, he was really done with me. The first week I thought we were just going to take a break from each other but when he left for LA to do some work and didn't tell me anything about it, I knew that he was serious.

"How long has he been gone?" My mother asked.

"Three weeks, he went to LA for work." I spoke up and she nodded.

As if on cue, the front door opened and Sincere came walking through it.

"Yeah, I'll be back out there sometime next month. I'll stay longer next time." He chuckled with the phone to his ear.

I sat up, closing my bags of chips as the both of our moms looked from me to him.

"Aight, Khalid. I'm gon' hit you later." He spoke into the phone before hanging up.

"Wassuh, mama." He spoke to his mother, giving her a one armed hug before doing the exact same to my mother.

"Hello, son." His mom spoke.

"How are you?" My mother asked as he took a seat on the couch I was on but on the far end.

"I'm good, flight was kind of long but I enjoyed myself." He smiled as I took in his appearance.

He looked and smelled so good, I wished I could just jump all over him and kiss him like I usually do but that was out of the question. I could feel the hostility, he still hadn't even acknowledged me and I'm usually the first person he acknowledges when walking into any room.

"That's wonderful." My mother smiled before everyone looked at me.

"Wassuh, V." He finally spoke.

"Hey." I hid my sadness with a fake smile.

Both of our mothers looked at us weirdly, trying to understand the distant behavior. We're usually all over each other.