48.

1 month later

Veronica

At 8 months and 1 week pregnant, I was in my shop doing what I do best and feeling extremely crappy. I was nauseous, my feet were swollen but I was still determined to get work done. I didn't want to be home doing absolutely nothing while Sincere's out working, that's not how this works.

"Why are men so stupid?" My client spoke as I began to sew in her weave.

Because we allow them to be. I thought.

I was already irritated with Sincere and this conversation wasn't about to make it any better.

The entire shop laughed as she began to vent.

"Like seriously..they complain that we're so hard to please when it's honestly the easiest it's ever been these days." She went on.

"All I ask for is there to be no dishes in the sink when I get home and this nigga can't even do that." She complained.

"It's too hard for them, they're man children because of their overbearing ass mothers that treat them like newborn babies." Another client that was getting her hair done spoke.

"Exactly. These moms baby these grown ass niggas and now they don't know how to be men." My client responded.

"I don't understand the problem, it's literally too easy to make us happy, you can get flowers from an old dude on the corner for 5 bucks and I'd be happy for the entire day."

"Exactly." Multiple people spoke and I giggled, shaking my head.

"Niggas are so dumb." Someone said.

"All they want is for you to cater to them while they lie, cheat and watch the damn game." Someone else spoke up.

"Preach." I said to myself.

My client smiled and looked up at me while I smiled down at her. I honestly felt everything they were saying and I wanted to join in on the conversation but I didn't want to put our business out there. That wasn't cool.

Plus too many people in this city knew about me and Sincere, most were just waiting for us to slip up and fall out so I kept our problems to myself and my small friend group.

"Hey, Sincere." Everyone in the shop spoke as I looked up to see that he was walking in and I slickly rolled my eyes.

"Wassuh, ladies." He spoke as usual, being respectful.

"Hey, baybeh." He spoke as he walked up to my station, kissing my cheek.

"Hey." I spoke, slightly moving away from him.

"I bought you lunch." He told me, holding up a bag and I nodded.

"You can put it in my office." I told him simply and he stood there for a minute, looking at me.

I knew he wanted to say something but he didn't because of where we were. He simply scoffed before walking away to my office.