Chapter 11: Mentorship

"I see you took care of Max," Mirage said to me over the phone.

"Yeah. Now speak. What do you want from me?" I asked, jumping straight to my point.

"I knew you might ask that. I'm from an underground sector of the NSA. Ever since supers became illegal, my sector has been quite inactive. However, you being a superhero gives me hope. What I'm going to do is assign you a super mentor. A veteran hero in your area will find you and take you under his tutelage. Help you become an even better hero," Mirage explained.

"So you have a hero in my area that's going to train me?" I asked suspiciously.

"Trust me if you want. Although if you do, then you'll become a great hero. I'm certain," She said as she hung up on me. I...I wasn't sure how to approach this situation. I probably should listen to my gut and not trust her. Although my spider-sense wasn't pinging so I don't know.

School...should probably try and avoid Violet as much as possible. I thought to myself, remembering what I saw about Violet turning invisible. I got onto the bus and sat at the back of the bus, trying to keep myself hidden once more. Sadly, it didn't work as I saw Violet walking up to me anxiously.

"Peter. You uh...you still holding up alright?" Violet asked me.

"You mean after seeing your body disappear?" I said quietly. That made Violet panic.

"Look, you didn't see what you think you saw," she defended as she sat next to me.

"Exactly. I thought I saw you. Then you were invisible," I quipped.

"Would you take this seriously? My family might be in trouble if you tell anyone," Violet told me cautiously.

"I am taking this seriously. I joke in tense situations," I remarked. This was true, but I haven't been in tense enough situations to start joking uncomfortably.

"Please just...keep this to yourself?" Violet pleaded.

"Yeah alright," I said casually and nodded. We both got to school and I was about to start heading to class. I was stopped by our principal, Mr. Murdock.

"Peter. May I have some time to talk to you?" Mr. Murdock asked me, using his support cane to block my path.

"Uh....sure?" I responded as I sat down in a chair in his office.

"So...I heard around the grapevine that you...have super powers," Mr. Murdock started as I froze in my seat.

"Uh...wh...where did you hear that? That's crazy," I stammered.

"Peter. Your heartbeat just increased," Mr. Murdock stated as he turned around to face me. He was right, my heart did start beating faster. I didn't expect him to actually know that.

"So based on your increased heartbeat, I feel like I hit the nail on the head," Mr. Murdock smugly said with a smile.

"Dang...you got me," I admitted.

"Well I was a good defense attorney for a reason," Mr. Murdock said as he sat down at his desk.

"So...you know?" I asked.

"I've known since you came in smelling like gunpowder and hot lead last week," Mr. Murdock said.

"So...what do you want from me?" I asked sadly.

"To train you. Tell me, have you ever heard of Daredevil?" Mr. Murdock asked.

"Yeah. He was one of the few superheroes with no powers. Except for his....super...human...senses...oh," I realized.

"The cane? Turns into the Billy club," Mr. Murdock stated as he collapsed his cane into the iconic red club.

"Let me guess. Mirage?" I asked to confirm my suspicion.

"Yep. Meet me at the boxing gym," Mr. Murdock ordered as he let me go to my classes. My principal is a superhero...awesome!

Later that day after school I found my way to the boxing gym and found Mr. Murdock wrapping his hands in thick Muay Thai ropes.

"Alright. Put 'em up. Let's see what you got already," Mr. Murdock instructed as I put my fists up. I try to take a swing at him; it ended with me on my face as Mr. Murdock dodged and punched me in the cheek.

"Alright. Get up. Round 2," Mr. Murdock instructed. I got up and we started fighting again...and again....and again....15 rounds later and I finally got an edge on Mr. Murdock by landing a good punch on him.

"Alright. Alright. You have some skill, but you can always improve. Same thing tomorrow," Mr. Murdock instructed.

"Alright Mr. Murdock," I agreed.

"No please. When we're here, call me Matt," Matt told me as I went home.