Chapter 42: Move On

"Move on from him?" Violet asked. I knew there was something else that I was missing, and it was on Violet's side of the story.

"Violet...is there something you aren't telling me?" I asked.

"Uh....no?" She replied. I gave my head a slow and subtle tilt, aiming my ear closer to her heart's direction. For a moment, I heard Violet's heartbeat speed up. She's lying to me about something.

Thank you Mr. Murdock I mentally acknowledged, putting the makeshift investigative skills Mr. Murdock taught me in our training that didn't involve him punching me in the face.

"Violet, are you sure you've told me everything?" I asked, sort of leaning more into the interrogation but still sounding friendly.

"Y....yes...Tony just...forgot about me," Violet repeated. Another acceleration of heartbeat...another lie. Should I tell her I know she's lying? Or lead her on to see if I can get the answer naturally as her friend.

"Violet, can you tell me what happened the day before Tony forgot about you?"  I asked further.

"It was the Underminer fight. Don't you remember?" Violet asked.

"I know what I was doing. I was trying to stop the drill from hurting people. What were you doing?" I replied. I could tell from her face that she was slowly cracking.

"I may or may not have had a moment of frustration and threw my mask down onto the floor....and Tony may or may not have been around there...and he may ot may not have seen me..." Violet said.

SHE DID WHAT?! I thought to myself. She literally threw her mask down in rage and Tony just so happened to see. Actually....now something doesn't seem right at all. No one would forget something like that....right? Not unless you were forced to forget it?

"Uh huh....see....now I need to tell you something," I started.

"What?" Violet asked.

"I have been using my senses to check your heartbeat everytime I asked you a question," I said. I could see the shock on her face as she slowly just realized what I said.

"How is your hearing that precise?!" Violet whispered to me in shock.

"Mr. Murdock. Turns out he used to be a hero too. I learned how to use my hearing to filter background noises and focus on particular things. Like someone's heartbeat for instance," I explained.

"Wow....you're just full of surprises, aren't you?" Violet asked slackjacked in awe.

"Gotta be. Superhero," I said quietly.

"So. Move on huh? Why do I feel like this is a Spider-Parker story?" Violet asked me.

"Well you see...wait Spider-Parker story?" I stuttered once I realized what Violet said.

"Yeah. When something Spider-Man based crosses into the world of Peter Parker. Spider-Parker," Violet explained.

"I'll...ignore the fact that you've made up a term for when my own secret identity causes my personal life to be worse....and say yeah. It's a Spider-Parker story," I answered.

"So what is this story about?" Violet asked me.

"I had a friend. Her name was Gwen Stacy. She found out pretty quick that I was Spider-Man. So she helped me get to the suit I had when I initially moved here," I started.

"When I would get into trouble. When I would get hurt, she would be the one to help me up when I got knocked down. She would be the one to patch me up," I continued.

"Seems like Gwen meant a lot to you," Violet pointed out.

"She waa the only person I could tell. It felt like I really....wasn't alone in this little thing I'm doing. Then uh...it all caught up to me," I kept going. Remembering when things went south.

"So? Why do you think it's good to move on?" Violet asked.

"One day, Gwen came in and she was....livid. She stomped in, shouting at me that I was horrible at being a superhero and that I was bad at being Spider-Man, for a while I had no idea what was going on. Then I found out on the news that night, that during the last night I was Spider-Man a police officer got shot. I found out it was Gwen's father who was shot and died that night. So I came to the conclusion that I shouldn't have....had her step into that boundary that I was forced to deal with. It was my responsibility to deal with, not hers to deal with," I finished.

"You moved on from Gwen," Violet concluded.

"She and I didn't talk afterwards. So I decided to move on from her, not because it was essential for me to function as Spider-Man. I moved on from Gwen to not try and overstep the boundaries that Gwen set," I explained.

"Hm....that's a nice lesson to take away from that Spider-Parker story," Violet punned.

"Oh be quiet you," I chuckled. I was glad Violet took my advice, but I'm not entirely sure about the circumstances about what happened to Tony.

Something isn't right....