Chapter 49: One Step Ahead

I saw Tony on the roof of his building and swung myself over to him.

"Hey kid. What's going on?" Tony asked?

"I think I figured it out. It's Quentin Beck," I said, walking past him and going down to his design lab.

"Wait wait. Like the Beck I fired? The one that got arrested?" Tony asked in confusion.

"Yeah, I think he got bailed out by Syndrome and he was hired to build weaponry by him. Once Syndrome's island got raided, Quentin must've ran back to New Urbam to set himself up with Screenslaver and do this to spite you," I said, explaining the situation to Tony.

"Makes sense. So what's your game plan?" Tony asked me.

"I need like...20 of your smallest yet functional audio and video surveillance cameras, robotic components, biometric and thermal scanners, and a laptop," I said, listing off the supplies.

"Um....okay. May I ask why?" Tony asked as he started scouring his lab to find the things I asked for.

"We need to reschedule the interview with Chad Brentley," I said as I started working with the supplies as Tony gave them to me.

"You have a plan churning in that brain of yours?" Tony asked.

"I found a pattern with Mysterio's attacks, and the last attack confirmed it for me. Screenslaver controls the screens, hypnotizing everyone. From the teleprompter, to the camera monitors, to the broadcast team to the security team. Which gives Quentin the chance to sneak in as Mysterio, making it seem like he teleported in. My plan is to give an extra set of eyes that's separate from the connected security system," I explained.

"Ohh I get it. You're trying to actually give an idea to where Mysterio will show up without making yourself vulnerable to Screenslaver,, Tony said. I nodded as I completed my first device. It was round, the size of a half dollar coin. It's red with a black webbing decoration like my costume, it has 4 black diamonds for eyes. It has mechanical spider legs, two on the front sides and two on the back. In the black diamond eyes were a single red dot in each.

"You made a little spider camera bot. Nice," Tony said, complimenting my work. After a few more hours, and a phone call or two later. Winston, Evelyn, Tony, Helen and I were all at the tv studio.

"Ok Peter, what's your plan?" Helen asked. I didn't reply, I simply took a red metallic ball in each hand and rolled them across the opposite sides of the hall. Then two more were rolled out, then two more, then two more. I took out the laptop, starting to type commands and then the small metallic balls split in half turning into my spider robots. They all began crawling up the walls and began crawling through the gaps in the grates and crawling through the air ducts.

"Right now. They're crawling to every corner of the building. Giving me eyes every where the cameras can and everywhere the cameras can't," I explained. They all watched as the camera feeds on the computer came to life as they showed the feeds of the respective cameras crawling through their vent ducts.

"Question, how do you know Screenslaver won't knock out your cameras too?" Evelyn asked.

"Based on my assumptions, Screenslaver operates by hijacking the satellite broadcast and inputting his signals into the program itself," I began.

"So these cameras are connected to their own personal signal network....so Screenslaver won't be able to get in...smart kid," Evelyn said, with a of a notable twinge of....irritation? Why would she be irritated about me thinking ahead about Screenslaver. Tony and Elastigirl seemed to pick up on this too, but we all ignored it to focus on the task at hand.

"Well it seems like you thought well in advance, and with the enhanced security perimeter Mysterio shouldn't be able to get in anyways," Winston said in a giddy manner.

"The interview should be starting soon, I'll be in the green room and manning the cameras. Once a camera detects Quentin Beck, I'll let you know when he's apprehended," I said, walking to the green room and setting up the laptop once more. I watched the cameras on my spider-bots come back to life, surveying the building's interior to keep tabs on what was going on inside.

We've got you this time Mysterio. I know it. You and Screenslaver will be stopped tonight.