chapter twenty nine

17 years later—
Lexi's POV
    I decided to sleep in today and skip my morning hunt. After about laying in bed for a little while, I got up and got dressed. It was pretty cold, so I put on a pair of leggings and a big, comfortable, royal blue hoodie. After I got dressed, I put my hair up in a messy high pony tail and put on some socks. I figured Zach must have still been asleep because I couldn't hear anything from his room across the hall. I decided to wake him up before I headed downstairs for breakfast. I walked across to his room and knocked on the door, but he didn't open it or respond.

Lexi:"Zach wake up!"

After calling out to him about three times, I gave up and just went downstairs. To my surprise I found mom and dad making breakfast.

Elena:"Good morning sweetie."

Lexi:"Hey Mom."

Stefan:"How's my little birthday girl."

I laughed as he brought me into his embrace and kissing the side of my head.

Lexi:"Dad, I'm seventeen!"

Stefan:"And I'm way past a hundred."

We all laughed, and I walked over to sit at the table.

Elena:"Where's your brother?"

Lexi:"Still sleeping."

I told them rolling my eyes in a joking manner. Then as if on cue Zach walked in wearing his black sweats and a white t-shirt. He rubbed his tired eyes and smiled at all of us. He kissed the top of my head and went over to greet mom and dad.

Zach:"Morning."

Elena:"Good morning birthday boy!"

Zach:"Mom! Dad!"

We chuckled at his embarrassment, and his call for Dad to back him up.

Stefan:"We can't help it."

We all laughed and began eating once dad placed the food on the table.

Elena:"So, are you guys ready for your party tonight?"

Lexi:"Yes! I've got my outfit, shoes, everything. It's going to be the best night ever."

Zach:"Jeez Lex, I get that it's our birthday, but isn't that a little much."

Lexi:"We only turn seventeen once....well technically."

We all laughed and continued to eat our breakfast contently. After breakfast we all went out for a quick hunt to help us get our strength up a bit.

5 hours before the party—

When Zach and I were about six or seven we began to discover our vampiric powers and our magic began to come in. At first we didn't understand what was happening or how it all worked, but little by little Aunt Bonnie taught us how to properly use our magic, and as for our vampirism. Mom and dad guided us a lot, and with the help of our aunts and uncles we learned to control our urges. So, instead of doing nothing until the party, I decided to work on some spells. About 15 to 30 minutes into practicing I heard a knock at the door. Since Mom, dad, and Zach were all upstairs and I was the only one downstairs I quickly went over to open the door. I opened the door to reveal a man with Raven black hair, icy blue eyes, and a smirk that brought everything together, but it seemed to be slightly sinister. I quickly snapped out of my thoughts.

Lexi:"Hi, can I help you?"

A smile swept onto my face, but I couldn't help but be slightly confused. Almost no one ever came by the house unless they were someone we knew. Before the man could give me an answer I heard Zach come down the stairs and saw him pass through the living room and into the kitchen.

???:"Yes, you can. I was actually looking for your parents."

I looked at him for second longer than I intended to, and he noticed my confused look. He chuckled at my reaction.

???:"How rude of me. I didn't even introduce myself. I'm Damon Salvatore. Your uncle."

I went from confused to shocked. I had only heard the name Damon a couple of times before, but I was much younger and didn't think much of it. I stood there holding the door open and called for mom and dad to come downstairs .

Lexi:"Um..hold on. MOM, DAD!! There's someone at the door."

I stood there in a frozen state with a blank face. Simply staring at the man who claimed to be my uncle. I heard mom and dad come down the stairs laughing, but it stopped as soon as they saw who was at the door.

Stefan:"Damon?!"

Damon:"Hello, brother."

Zach:"Brother? Mom, dad what's going on?"

Being to caught up with everything that was going on, mom was at a loss of words.

Elena:"Damon, what are you doing here?"

Damon:"I'm here to see my niece and nephew, Elena. I think it's about time I formally get to know them."

I looked over at my mom who had a hint of fear in her reaction, but my dad grew angry and defensive. His body stiffened some, and he reached for my arm bringing me back slightly. Without taking his eyes if of 'uncle' Damon, dad reached for the keys on the table aside of him.

Stefan:"Zach, Lexi, I want you to take the car and call your aunt Caroline and uncle Tyler."

My mom let go of my dad's arm and they both faced us. Leaving Damon standing at the door.

Stefan:"We'll see you before your party okay. Your aunt and uncle will bring you back in time so you can get ready."

Elena:"And after your party we can talk about all of this, but today is your day both of yours."

Zach:"Okay."

I couldn't find words to describe how I was feeling right then and there, so I just simply nodded. Zach nudged my arm and we headed of into town. I was confused. Why had mom or dad never spoken of dad's brother? Zach let aunt Caroline know that we were on our way, and I explained as much as I could to her and uncle Tyler about the situation. Their reactions only confused me more because they were the exact ones my parents had. I turned to Zach, who looked just as confused as I did.

Lexi:"What do you think happened?"

Zach:"I don't know lex, but I don't want you to think about it okay."

I nodded. Being my twin didn't change anything. He was still my big brother, even if it was just by a couple minutes, and like my dad he was very protective.

×××
Wow!!! I know there was a big time jump, but Damon's back!! The next part won't really be a chapter more of a character description of Lexi and Zach and hopefully that will clear things up.

IMPORTANT: Should I stop the book here and make a second one or continue with it here in one spot?

Hope you guys liked it.
                                       Love,
                                           Cami💛💛