chapter 18

jack
1:54pm
she had fallen asleep in my arms after i had comforted her, sam ended up leaving. nate and i had been waiting for an update on johnson, i was full of anticipation knowing if he was okay or not.

"who is here for jack johnson?" a nurse had asked and nate stood up.
"i'll see him first." he patted my back.

i looked down at tali and she had tears going down her cheeks. probably a nightmare, i wiped them off with my thumb. i hated seeing her cry, it made me feel broken inside.

"jack. you can go." nate said walking back towards me.

i lifted her off of me and onto the chair, i took a breathe and went to johnson's room. i heard beeping and wires were on his left arm then on his chest. i was terrified, he slowly opened his eyes. a small grin appeared on his face as i entered, i sat down on a chair by his bed.

"you fucking scared me bro."
"i'm sorry."
"why did you do it? i'm here for you, tali is here for you. everyone's here for you. we love and care for you so much. the thought of you being gone, would make my world stop turning."
tears began to brim my eyes, daring to fall onto my cheeks.

"i didn't know what to do anymore. was i not good enough for layla?"
"you can do so much better."

tali knocked on the door softly, i nodded for her to come in. she took the seat next to me, her eyes still puffy from crying.
"aubrey is here with nate and i couldn't stand being there with her."
"are you okay, tals?" johnson asked.

"the real question is, are you okay? what were you thinking, we're all here for you johnson. you scared me, you scared us all."
"i couldn't live with the pain, the thought knowing she had cheated and is carrying another's baby."
"you can do so much better." she grabbed johnson's hand with a tear falling into her cheek.

"now, are you okay?"
"i had argued with sammy. for probably the fifth time this week, he called me pathetic, a loser, he had said my life was miserable."
"do you guys want some time alone?" i interrupted.

they looked to me and nodded, i got up, kissed the top of tali's head then headed out making sure to close the door. i saw aubrey texting away on her phone and nate had looked up at me waiting for me to speak.
"talia is speaking to him and it was very private so i didn't think i should've been in the room."

"hey jack." aubrey smirked, trying to get my attention. i had never liked her, wanting to go back into johnson's room. she was throwing herself at me trying to turn my attention to her instead of my phone.

talia
1:57pm
"i'm always here for you tals. you know that. he probably didn't mean it."
"didn't mean it my ass. he's never been like this before." tears began to roll down my cheeks.
"no don't cry, please don't cry. i hate seeing you cry."

he put his hand on my cheek, wiping away the tears with his thumb. his eyes softened as our eyes gazed into each other's.

"i'm so sorry."
"about what, you did nothing wrong."
"for not being so close to you. i should've asked you how you were doing. i should've made sure you were okay."
"tals, it's okay. look i'm not dead."
"but you tried to be." my voice cracking.
"that doesn't matter tals, please. stay strong for me, don't let sammy's words get to you."
"johnson, i can't."

"talia."

was the last thing he softly said before both of his hands cupped my face, making me go breathless. our eyes gazed upon each other's, his eyes went down to my lips then back to my eyes. suddenly, his lips were pressed against mine. he began to roughly kiss me like jack would, i found mine moving in sync with his. i pulled away shaking my head, not saying a word, leaving his room.

why did i do that?

2:01pm
the car ride home was quiet, i didn't want to tell jack about this. he put his hand on my thigh, smiling as he looked at me.
"do you still want to eat? we didn't finish our lunch."
"i'm okay." i quietly said.

jack had to get back to work so we made his way back to his father's building. i felt so guilty, i had kissed back. while i was with jack, i basically cheated on him.
"you okay? you seem to be thinking a lot."
his fingers moved in circles on my thigh, i just nodded. why did he kiss me?
"are you sure you're okay?" i nodded
"talk to me baby." i shook my head.
"are you okay, like what happened with johnson."
"we talked about sammy and i guess johnson is just feeling the pain of getting cheated on right now. he was talking about her so much." my voice was so monotone.

jack had taken notice, his hand leaving my thigh. i had wanted him to put it back. he glanced at me once again, my facial expression blank.

"what are you not telling me tali?"
"nothing," i growled.
"i just don't want to talk about it right now." i said continuing my sentence.

he had parked and i found my way making my way back into his office. his arm snaked around my waist as we entered, going straight to the elevator. he pressed a button and the doors opened, we walked in and he pressed more buttons. as the doors closed, he pushed me against the railing. his lips attaching to the spot just below my jaw.

"relax a bit, baby." he whispered into my ear.
"jack, stop. i can't right now."

i pushed him off me and the elevator doors opened once again, i walked down the hall to his office. i opened the door and sat down on the couches, being completely silent. jack huffed, clearly upset with my behavior.