epilogue

*five years later*

talia
8:02am
(not the actual envision for finnegan, sam just posted this on his ig story and i thought it fit).
i threw on a skirt and a white button up, trying to look professional. i took my hair out of my messy bun then threw on my heels, i ran downstairs to see sammy playing with finn.

"you're going to the swamp!" finn yelled.
"not if you do first!" sam cheered and lifted my son into the air tossing him into the couch.
"sam be careful!"
"mommy, look i'm okay!"
"i'm just saying, be careful or you might get hurt sweetheart."
"where are you going?" finn cheered.
"i'm trying to get a new job so i can get more money. more money means more toys" i looked over and smiled at him.
"yay! have fun mommy!" he ran over and i squatted down to hug him and kiss his cheek.

talia
10:24am
"you're in! you got the job!" the front desk lady, candace cheered as she came from the hallway.
"how?"
"the big boss man looked at your application and your files. he immediately said yes!"
"really! wait why do you call him the big boss man?"
"outside of his office we don't say his name, he's very formal."
"oh, so do i just get straight to work in my new office?"
"not really, the big boss man would like to meet you first."

we walked down the long hallway, she smiled and stopped at a brown door. she popped her head in, once her head popped back out she had a questionable look on her face.

"he wants to speak with you alone." she opened the door wider for me and i walked right in.
"hi my name is-"
"tali." i instantly winced at the sound of his voice.
"i want to quit already." i mumbled.
"why didn't you let me explain myself. i could've been there for you the past five years." his voice cracking.
"you hurt me! you put me in a bad place, jack. why did you do it?" tears brimming my eyes.
"just tell me, is it a boy or a girl?" he calmed down.
"a boy, his name is finnegan."
"is there-"
"no, there isn't anyone else besides his uncle sam and uncle johnson." i sighed.

"does he know?"
"that you're his dad? of course he does, he only has seen pictures of you. i just told him, daddy has been at work. he's been working hard for us, we can't see him but he's working hard and he loves you so much. you know what hurts the most, seeing my son cry because he can't be like the other kids, all his friends talk about their dads and doing everything with them. he can't do that." tears falling down my eyes as my voice cracked.

"i'm here now, i can do that!" he cheered, trying to make everything better.
"it's been five years, you think you're just going to show up and everything is so much better." i sarcastically say.
"don't. i'm sorry for being stubborn, i knew i should've gone. i just could've talked to you, so easily but i didn't. i was scared, lia. i was fucking scared."
"scared of what? being committed to a family." i yelled, my voice cracked once again.
"no, i was afraid of hurting you again." he said softly.
"but you did! i did everything alone, i raised him by myself for five fucking years!"
"that's why you need this job, to help him."

"so what, why would you care. all you care about is yourself, you decided not to show up so why show up now."
"lia, stop. i'm not going to fight with you."
"what's my job then jack." i huffed.
"you're in your own office but i have another offer."
"what is it?"
"my pa, i'll pay triple the amount you get normally."

-
the sequel will be up soon.