Fourteen

In Too Deep (Why Don't We)
*
I'm in too deep
Can't touch the bottom with my feet
Don't know what you did to me, I can't breathe but I'm livin
*

"Hey, Corbyn, um... can we talk?"

He didn't look up.

"Corbyn."

"Oh, so now you wanna talk to me? After slapping me then ditching me when I was trying to talk to YOU?"

I sighed, crossing my arms. "I think you deserved it, no offense."

He glanced up at me before going back to his phone. "Fine, then."

"Why are you acting this?"

He sighed. "Acting like what? Use 'I' statements, Liv. You're mad at me. Not the other way around."

"Excuse you?"

"All I'm saying is I don't get why you're angry."

I stared at him in shock. "What the hell?"

He shrugged. "What did I do?"

Enraged, I began counting off my fingers. "Hmmm, let's see. First, you act all nice to me when I come back, a whole gentleman. Then, the second me and Daniel get together, you become a straight up dick. Insulting me, hurting Zach, hurting everyone. And now, you're acting like a petty child who can't see past his own self-centered ego. Now you tell me, Corbyn, why do you think I might be mad?" I stared at him, a threatening glare.

Corbyn stared back, shocked. When he finally spoke, his words were almost a growl. "Do you think I'm not trying, Olivia? Because I am. I thought, when you came back, maybe we could be together again. Because I missed you. I missed everything about you."

I scoffed, rolling my eyes. "Sure you did, after not even making an effort to talk to me for two whole years when everyone else did."

His eyes hardened. "I was jealous, okay? I was jealous of you and Daniel. That's why I lashed out. Because I thought you might want me back."

I laughed coldly. "Your ego is hilarious."

"Why didn't you?"

I stared at him in disgust. "Look at you. Do you even hear yourself? Why would I ever want to get back with someone like YOU?"

And with that, I turned around and walked out.

---
"I'm in too deep, can't touch the bottom with my feet
Don't know what you did to me, I can't breathe but I'm livin"

I stood by the door, listening to the raspy softness of his voice. I imagined his hands strumming the guitar, his eyes closed, his brown hair moving as his head bobbed to the rythym.

Yeah, I loved Corbyn, but in my opinion, Daniel's talent far exceeded that of my own boyfriend's.

"I'm in too deep, I never thought that you could be, my underwater symphony,
I can't breathe but I'm livin"

I closed my eyes. When he began the next line, his voice stuttered and broke with his oncoming tears.

"I'm in too deep
Ah oo ah oo"

I walked into the room, unwilling to let him stay there like that any longer. "Daniel?"

He started at the sight of me. After a quick recovery, he wiped his eyes with the sleeve of his shirt, tilting his head so I couldn't see his face underneath his hat.

I sat down next to him. "What's wrong?"

He kept his face turned away. "Nothing. I'm fine."

I placed a hand on his shoulder. "Are you sure?"

He stood up, nodding. "Yeah. I'm okay, I promise."

He walked out of the room, leaving me clueless.
---

Jonah grimaced as I closed the door. "I'm guessing it didn't go well?"

"Don't ask me to talk to him. Ever. Again."

"Hey, hey, it's okay." Daniel wrapped me in his arms. "You tried. You did what was right. I'm proud of you."

"I just... I need to stop thinking about him. I thought maybe we could be friends again, but he didn't want to be friends. He wanted me to be with him again."

Zach laughed. "I'm sorry, but seriously? After all the hell he put you through?"

"Zachary, if I have to tell you one more time to watch your mouth-"

"Leave him alone, grandma." Jack wrapped an arm around Zach's shoulder.

Daniel laughed. "Um, Jachary confirmed?!"

Zach blushed, but Jack just shrugged. "I don't know about you, but I think it works."

Everyone in the group looked at each other in shock.

Jack laughed nervously, and Zach smiled with him. "I'm kidding, right? Yeah, I'm kidding."

Daniel laughed.

"Oh, by the way, that reminds me. We never told you guys your ship name." Zach looked mischievously at Jack.

Jonah sighed. "Oh great-"

"It's Dalivia."

Daniel rolled his eyes. "Thanks, guys."

I pressed my face into his chest. "I think its cute."

He smiled. "Well, maybe a little."

After a few minutes of peaceful silence- well, maybe not so peaceful, with Zach and Jack constantly giving each other silly faces and trying to hold back laughter, Corbyn walked in the room.

We all stared as he walked over to the table.

"Forgot my phone charger," he said gruffly. Finding the cord, he picked it up and walked out.

Jonah sighed. "Guys, I can't stand this. I mean, I know we are all hurt, but it's Corbyn. We've been best friends since... well, pretty much since high school. And anyways, we're too old for this petty stuff."

Zach raised his hand. "I'm not," he joked, causing Jack to let out a loud snort of laughter.

Jonah glared at them, and they went silent. "I'm being serious."

"Yeah," Daniel agreed. "Maybe we should just give him space."

"Maybe," Jonah replied reluctantly.

I closed my eyes, breathing in the scent of Daniel's laundry detergent and hair shampoo, suddenly wanting to run away from everything. From Corbyn.

"Yeah," I agreed. "Maybe we should."