Twenty One- Daniel

Runner (Why Don't We)
*
I know you've been hurt before
But you don't have to run from me
I'm on your side
*

I'm not sure what made me do it. Let me lay out the scene here. The crowded pool deck, filled with people drinking and dancing. But they weren't important. All I could see was Liv, standing right in the middle of it all, with Corbyn pretty much wrapping himself around her. I saw his lips moving toward hers, and angry look in her eyes, and something just... clicked inside of me. Like a switch to a power source that was being flipped on.

I ran at Corbyn, shoving him to the ground, and I started punching him, yelling obscenities and insult like they were nothing. Corbyn struggled, fighting back, but I didn't feel any pain.

In that moment, I couldn't feel anything but rage and betrayal. He was supposed to be my best friend. Then he does this.

There were people screaming all around us, tripping over each other to try and get a look. But at this point, I didn't care. Everything was muted.

Someone's drink spilled all over me, and I felt a cold splash on my back. But I kept attacking Corbyn, yelling at him, screaming "Why?" over and over again.

Suddenly, a heavy body came crashing down, rolling in between us. It was Liv.

Everything came spinning back to reality, and all the voices were at full volume again as Liv shoved my back against a tree and pinned Corbyn to the ground with her foot.

"Neither of you move," she growled dangerously. Corbyn struggled, but she kicked him in the chest, causing him to fall still, looking at her in annoyance.

She kept her hand placed firmly on my chest, even after Jonah and Zach ran over and pulled her off Corbyn, Jack following close behind, shock and fear in his eyes.

I took that instant to look around, seeing this even more clearly than before I ran at him. Everything was filled with a vivid color and detail. The partygoers, standing in a half circle around us, most of them staring in shock, some of them recording videos on their phones. Corbyn, leaning on Jonah, blood pouring put of his nose, his right eye already swollen and bruised. Liv, looking at me in concern, anger, and fear, a mixture of emotions that I had never seen from her and instantly regretted bringing out. And me. Sopping wet with something that smelled like rotten beer, my shirt torn where Corbyn had pulled on it, my cheek and lip split open, warm blood running down onto my neck. This was a mess.

And it was all my fault.

Suddenly, I felt myself being lifted. Liv wrapped her arm around my waist, pulling mine over her shoulders. I staggered, exhausted from the amount of energy I had channeled into that fight. Liv pushed her way through the crowd, knocking several people over at yelling at several others when they didn't move out of the way.

"Olivia-" I started when we were walking back up the flower lined pathway.

"Be quiet," she said, and I couldn't tell if she was angry, disappointed, or both.

Zach opened the door to the van when we got here, and she dumped me down onto the back row of seats.

She went to the front of the van, completely ignoring everyone else, and rummaged around in the glove box until she found what she was looking for.

She came back and sat down next to me, a first aid kit in her hands.

"Liv-" Jonah began, looking over the back of the seat with concern.

"Shut up," she snapped, not even looking at him. Jonah moved his gaze to me, looking me up and down with worry. I shook my head, and he turned back around.

Corbyn sat in the front seat, and Zach and Jack in the third row, trying to stay as far from him as possible. He dabbed his nose with a tissue, but it looked as if the blood wasn't stopping. In fact, the nose just looked completely broken, and the area around his eye was turning a nasty golden-brown color.

I turned my attention back to me. She opened up a small package, taking out a wet cloth, and dabbed at my lip.

"Ah," I grimaced, unable to keep out the gasps when my lip started burning.

"Sorry," she muttered, moving to my cheek.

When she was done, she placed bandages where they needed to me, sealing up the wound. I grabbed her hand. "Liv, listen-"

"I really don't need to hear this right now, okay? We can figure this put in the morning." She sighed frustratedly, rubbing her face with her hands. "I'm just so tired."

I took her hand, pulling her onto my chest. She embraced me tightly, wrapping her arms around me. I hugged her back, kissing the top of her head. Within a few minutes, I could feel her tears wetting my shirt, and I wrapped my arms even more tightly around her, hoping she felt safe with me.

"You don't have to run from me, I'm on your side," I whispered.

Before I could think any harder about it, though, I closed my eyes, drifting off into darkness.

A/N: Sorry it's pretty short but it's kinda a bridging part just explaining Daniel's feelings so yeah.