34.)Save Me

The whole way to the hospital, I felt my insides churning. We had all been getting ready to leave the bar when Brian received the frantic phone call from Veronica. She yelled something about Cherie going to hospital in an ambulance. She hadn't given anymore information, except that John was riding with her while she stood at the house with the kids to clean up the mess. I don't even know what she meant by that!

I was so numb, I didn't even realized I'd started to cry as my breath became harder to find and I felt like a bubble was building up in my throat. I barely felt Rogers arms wrap around my shoulders, as he tried to hold me steady in the back seat of Brian's car. "Slow breathes, mate..it's gonna be alright...," his own voice sounded concerned and it made me worry even more.

The truth is, none of us knew what actually happened. Had Cherie gone into early labor? Was she having a miscarriage? Why was Veronica so inconsolable that she could hardly speak?

Brian pulled right up to the emergency room doors and I leapt from the car before he could come to a complete stop. I don't know if anyone of them followed me or not. I just needed to get some answers.

I found the reception desk, "I need to find out about Cherie Santiago please....it's urgent!" I hurriedly rattled off my request at the young blonde receptionist who didn't even bother to look up at me.

"All matters here are urgent, sir. Just one moment..," she turned her back to me and went to grab something from the fax machine behind her. She took her sweet time strolling back to her seat.

"I need to know her information..NOW!," I growled at her. I felt the eyes of everyone in the waiting room staring at me, maybe realizing who I was.

She brought the papers back to the desk and adjusted her glasses, finally looking up at me. She blushed to a fluorescent pink color. "Ooh! Mr. Mercury, I'm sorry for keeping you waiting. What did-ur who did you say?," she batted her eyelashes at me and wiggles her little eyebrow above the frame of her glasses. The nerve! I swear sometimes these type of women floor me!

"Cherie..Santiago..she was just brought in by ambulance..I need to see her please!," I pleaded with her in the calmest voice I could manage. I was falling apart inside not knowing her condition.

She quickly typed the name into the computer system and purses her lips.. "She's in surgery right now, Mr. Mercury. A doctor will be out shortly to fill you in with more details..," she flashed a smile at me and I grimaced at her. Nows really NOT the time to be flirting, woman!

"What do you mean surgery? Is she in labor? Is it a c-section? What's going on!?," I was losing it here and all this woman did was stare back at me. Her eyes growing wider at the sound of my raised voice.

"I'm sorry, that's all the information I can disclose. A doctor will-"

"Yeah, Yeah, a doctor will come out and tell me more. I heard you!," I felt a firm hand grab me around my shoulder.

"Thank you, Miss. We'll be waiting over there for the doctor," John was behind me and he pointed to a sectioned area of chairs. He pulled me away with him before I could get another word out.

"Fred, you scared the poor thing. You need to calm down..," Roger tried to put his arm around me, but I shrugged away this time.

"C-calm d-down!? Tell me Rog, how am I meant to calm down!? I don't know a goddamn thing! And that woman had the audacity to just flirt with me when I'm trying to figure out what's happening to my family!!," I was shouting too loud and I know it, but I really didn't care about all the stares we were getting. Fuck the lot of them!

Turning to John -he's the only one with more insight on this than any of us, "John, please tell me what happened! Is she okay? The babies? What's going on!!," I was squeezing him by the shoulders, when he wince at the pressure of my grip. I released him and waited for his response.