* 20 - Complications

Written by: miamidnightt

Turning up empty-handed with their search for the Scarlet Ninja was not how the Ninja thought they would end the day. But with no other leads for them to go off of, they had to hold off on their search until the morning came and they all made their way back to the Bounty after the long day they had endured.

Mia shuffled her feet towards her room, a frown following when she was greeted with the opposite bed of hers being left empty, "I can't believe we couldn't find her anywhere in the city today?"

"M, can I talk to you for a minute?" The redhead whirled around and was met with Kai's sister, stopping her from entering her room, "I know you're worried about Scarlett, but please don't blame yourself. The others think we should start training you further, then—"

"Sorry, but I'm not doing that," Mia mumbled, glaring at her own feet. She felt broken, like someone shot an arrow straight through her chest. Her best friend had lied to her and was escaping being found by them, even when she said they weren't friends anymore. That stung like a ton of bricks, "I can't go training like nothing ever happened between me and Scarlett! We couldn't find her and she probably doesn't wanna see any of us—not even me."

Nya was stunned, but tried to persuade her further, "Mia, you're a Ninja and if we can't find Scarlett—the least we could do is train you so that you're ready to fight the shadows."

"Dammit, I'm done with all this shit that's happening!" The red-haired teen furrowed her eyebrows in frustration, keeping her distance from the Sister of Fire and gripping the door firmly, "N-No, just leave me alone!"

Opening the door to her room and slamming it just as quick as she had opened it, Nya frowned while letting out a huge sigh, resting both hands on her elbows. "What are we gonna do now? That girl is in a complete mess right now."

And she took her leave down the hall, not knowing what else to do.

* * *

At that same moment, Kai had taken it upon himself to continue his search for the one girl he fell in love with, even though the sun had left the sky hours ago and he knew the shadows would be prowling around at this time of night. His feet guided him near an arcade that he knew was closed, his eyes searching until they found a back alleyway and his eyes widened at the raven-haired teen trying to get some sleep behind the trash bins.

Oh my god, she's seriously trying to sleep out here in this cold weather!

"Scarlett...?" He walked over and against the chilly, night air to find a shivering girl in front of him. He bent down, touching her forehead and knew right away that she had been out here for a while, "What exactly are you doing out here?"

Finally taking notice of the Fire Ninja, Scarlett gave out a huff and turned her head away from him, "Trying to get some sleep. Besides, why would you care?"

"I do care, Scarlett," Kai held a serious tone, looking straight into her eyes. "Please, I can't leave you out here and let you freeze to death. That wouldn't be right, now, come on. Let's get you to the Bounty."

The dark-haired girl groaned, letting her head fall on his chest and immediately felt warmth from the touch, "Fine...! I'll come back but I'm not talking to any of you, you hear?"

"Technically, you already broke that rule." He told her, smirking down at her.

"Shut up..." She hissed lowly, crossing her arms and allowing him to carry her back to the Bounty. She wasn't keen on staying with them, but she didn't actually wanna freeze to death outside either.