* 24 - Falling Apart

Written by: miamidnightt

Both Mia and Lloyd ran through the thick shrubs of the forest, not once stopping to catch their breath. The redhead was already worried as it was, wondering what was so important that the others would need to contact them so urgently.

But Lloyd easily stopped in his tracks, which caused the redhead to run right into him and fall over on her back. She groaned, "Lloyd... What's the big deal? Why did we stop running?"

The Green Ninja turned to face her, kneeling down and extending a hand out to her—she couldn't quite put her finger on it, but it felt like he held a different light in his eyes. And that was something she should know. It was her element, after all.

"Sorry," He apologized, helping her to her feet and they both stood up, "But don't worry about the others... I just checked and they said they have everything under control now."

"Really?" Mia asked, skeptical about his response.

Lloyd gave her a heartwarming laugh, drawing her close to him and ruffling her hair, "Hey, what kind of person do you take me as? You honestly don't think I'd lie about that, would you?"

"Of course not!" The redhead replied, pointing a finger at him and biting her lower lip. "It's just... I don't know."

The blond hummed in response, not saying anything more and continuing to lead her back in the direction of the city. She was certain something was different about him but what could have changed him in the last few minutes—he was fine when they were both talking to Ava. The others were trying to contact them and that would mean that the shadows are out looking for them.

"Are you sure everything's alright with the others?" Mia asked, rubbing her sweaty palms together in hopes of calming herself down, "You said that it was important."

Lloyd threw his head back, "Brooklyn, stop worrying yourself. Everything's fine with others... I just talked to them."

Wait, did he just call me Brooklyn? Mia ignored any thoughts lingering in her head, walking with the Green Ninja into one of the hotel buildings—any doubts she had before vanished, and she immediately followed him once the receptionist allowed them a room for free.

They took the elevator, Mia keeping her hand in his but oddly, his hand was cold and tense from her touch. But the thought didn't last long, the chime of the elevator alerting the two teens and they walked off—Lloyd practically dragging the redhead down the endless hall. She furrowed her eyebrows, taking a deep breath and the two stepped into the room they had been granted.

The room was large—A single bed rested against the right-side wall with a small, wooden bedside table next to it. Wooden floors decorated the room, with pure beige walls that had pictures hanging up and two rugs snuggled against the floor—gold and silver. A dresser was on the other end of the room, next to the large, wall mirror and the small, white desk on the left wall.

Mia was fascinated by the entire design of the room, "Wow, this is amazing!"

But she didn't have time to register it all in, her hand being dragged and feeling her back hit against the sheets of the bed. A pair of golden-green eyes found hers, but they lacked the compassion they once held. Instead, there was something much sinister in them—hatred, perhaps.

"L-Lloyd?" She mumbled.

He lifted her chin and smirked, easily licking his lips as he peered down at her, "No, don't say anything. I think... I want to punish you now, Brooklyn."

He called me that again! Mia knew something wasn't right and she was determined to figure it out, which caused her to slip Lloyd's hand away immediately and glare right at him, "I know what's wrong with you, because... you aren't Lloyd at all, are you?"