Thirty-Five | A Promise

Edited 12/30/19_____

Edited 12/30/19
_____

Bella Ryan

A Promise

After Gray interrupted my fight, he immediately carried me to my private room here in The Vault.

He kept a straight, stoic face and his eyes were blank while we were on our way here.

And as of now, his jaw is clenched as he paced back-and-forth right in front of me. A deafening silence covered us as only the sounds of my heavy breathing are heard.

Gray was first to break the ice. He first takes a deep breath. "What the hell were you thinking, Isabella?!?" Gray exclaims.

"No. I should be the one asking you that. That was my fight, you have no right to interrupt!" I say in a harsh tone.

He scoffs, placing both his hands on his hips. "If I didn't do that, you'd be knocked out cold right now!" He bites back. "You should thank me for saving you!"

I sigh. "I don't want this to keep happening. I don't want you to always pop out of nowhere and immediately be my 'knight in shining armor'. I don't want you to keep saving me from situations I don't need saving!" I huffed out of frustration.

"It isn't my fault that you keep getting yourself in trouble." He retorts.

"You've done that at least three times now. You've saved me thrice." I start.

"You must remember who the person you are talking to is. I am Red: a cold-blooded assassin. I can very much handle myself."

"You think I'd forget who you are?" Gray raises a brow.

"I know your potential. Your strength and skill, and I respect that. Like you said, you are Red. I am aware of your capability to defend yourself, Isa."

I was about to speak, but Gray beat me to it as he spoke once again.

"But you are a human. Harm and death is always inevitable. No matter how skilled or how strong you are, you can't out-run death if it's already knocking by your doorstep."

"That's why people care, Isa. There is always a person who worries of you and cares for you."

"And I am one of those people. I care about you. You have lived by yourself before you got in The Panthers, and I know that you are not used to having these people in your life. But you must not push them away. If you find yourself in trouble, I'll make sure I'll be there to help you."

"So don't you dare die under my watch, Isabella."

"Or so God help me, I will regret not being able to protect you, for the rest of my life." He finishes.