Thirty-Six | Awake

Jace Calvin Mendoza__________Awake

Jace Calvin Mendoza
__________
Awake

Ringing.

I can hear a loud ringing echoing in my ears. What is this?

I felt my surroundings and noticed I was laying on my back.

Everything was calm. It was quiet and all that can be heard is a continuous beeping coming from something by my right.

I opened my eyes, directly seeing the bright light from above me, blinding me with the sudden brightness.

I squinted my eyes, letting them adjust to the light. And as they did, they wandered around the room.

A machine stood on my right, displaying my heartbeat. I glanced towards my hand and saw a tube on the back of it, attaching myself to a bag of dextrose by the side of the machine.

The room was.....comforting. It's not as clean as an hospital room and is not so dirty either. It was enough to seemingly satisfy my taste.

It was pristine but empty. Yes, it was relaxing and comforting to be in but I was the only one in it. No one sat on the couch nor on the wooden chair beside my bed.

I guess no one wants to visit me..... wherever I am.

All this leaves me with a question: What exactly happened?

No matter how much I squeeze my brain for answers, I get nothing. I do not know why I'm here. I do not know what I did or what was done to me.

All I know is that my name is Jace Mendoza.

No more, no less.

"Mendoza!"

The thought, or a memory, of some sort lingered in my mind. It was like someone was calling me. But I have no idea who that someone is.

"Nice to meet you, Mendoza. I was assigned to be your new partner."

"That was one hell of a mission, Mendoza."

"You okay, Jace?"

"Long time no see, Mendoza!"

"Getting shabby, are we, Mendoza?"

Who is this person?

An acquaintance? A friend? A family? A special someone?

I groan in frustration as I struggle to remember who owned that voice. Though I feel like the answer is not so hard to grasp. That the name of that someone is just on the surface of my mind, or on the tip of my tongue. But yet, I fail to identify who it is. The answer is so close yet so far away.

Everything was in shambles. I was confused of everything. My past, my present. Hell, even my future.

My hands travel to my head, feeling a bandage wrapped around it. Was I hit?

I tried to sit up straight, but then fell back down. Hissing at the pain it brought to my back. It felt like a burn on my body was being pressed on or scratched.

Slowly, I tried to sit back up, finally being able to do it at the second time. I let out a breath I did not know I was holding.

All of a sudden, the door to this room opened, revealing a woman in whites, a mask on her face.

Upon seeing my awakened figure, her eyes widened before she quickly left the room. Huh, weird.

Moments later, the door opened, yet again. Revealing not one but three people of similar outfits. Though one stood out, the man at the center wearing a lab coat, with a stethoscope wrapped around his neck. A doctor, I assume.

"Good thing you're finally awake. It's been almost a month." He spoke.

A month? I was on this bed, unconscious for a month?

The doctor turned to one of his nurses, uttering something about calling someone named Lucas.

The remaining people in the room scanned me, checking me mentally and physically, I guess.

After a few minutes the door opened as a man in casual clothes entered the room. His hair was a bit messy but his expression held that of delight.

He sat on the wooden chair, letting out a sigh.

"Who--" I start, unfortunately getting cut off.

"Thank God you're awake. We've been worried for weeks, especially Bella." He said.

Bella. I think I've heard that name before.

"She's been distracted ever since you were in comatose. That explosion really took a hit on you, Jace." He paused, giving me the chance to speak.

"If you don't mind me asking, who exactly are you?"

》》》《《《

Ayeeee. I was able to update, FINALLY. Sorry for the long wait and for leaving you all in a cliff hanger in the previous chapter. But do not worry, the next chapter.

The chapter header is not out yet though I will put it up tomorrow since it's currently midnight and I have a migraine. Lol I need to rest.

Thank you for the continuous support on this book and on my other books. (If you haven't read my other book, you can check it out in my profile hihi)

On top of that, I LOVE reading your comments and I will try to reply to the comments as much as I could.

Anyways that's all for this chapter!