✯•Twenty-Six•✯

Jeno had noticed that Renjun seemed to be in a bit of a daze lately. All week he would seem to zone out, his attention seemed to be elsewhere which was unlike him. Jeno had noticed that Renjun was a pretty precise person, always making sure things were done probably and nothing was a half-arsed job. But the past few days he had left rooms without turning the lights out, he had dropped glasses of water on the ground, not even noticing he had lost his grip and not caring about the small shards of glass cutting his legs.

Jaemin had tried to break Renjun from this trance but Jaemin only seemed to make the situation even worse. Every time Jaemin was in the cabin Renjun looked as if he was either going to throw up or pass out.

He wasn't treating Jeno much differently. He had barely spoken three words to him and he tries to get away before Jeno could start a conversation.

Usually Jeno wouldn't worry if someone was acting a little odd, everyone has off days. But this had gone on for almost a week and Jeno felt like he knew Renjun enough to confirm something was very wrong and something needed to be done.

At first he thought it had something to do with his nightmares, but renjun had been having those since the day he came to this camp and he'd never once acted this distant. The only person he seemed to be comfortable speaking to at the moment was his brother.

Jeno had been put on runner duty for the week, leaving camp and entering the city for supplies. Renjun had pretty much begged Mark to
Let him go on runner duty with Jeno, which was also pretty odd. Usually Renjun didn't mind what job he got, he never complained and just did it.

This is why Jeno was subtly stealing glances at the brunette sat in the passenger seat of his car. He seemed to be preoccupied with looking out of the window, examining each building they passed.

"What are you looking for?" Jeno asks, his gaze now back on the road in front of him, speeding up a little.

"Huh?" Renjun asks, peeling his gaze away from the window to look over at Jeno. The sudden fidgeting was enough to make Jeno even more suspicious. "Oh, nothing in particular" he laughs nervously, turning himself around in his seat and sitting properly "it's been a while since I've been outside the camp, it's just a little overwhelming"

Of course Jeno understood that could be the case, and Renjun definitely would have been able to convince him if he hadn't been acting this way for almost a week.
"You're acting strange lately" Jeno points out, deciding that it was better to be forward. At least then he wouldn't have to try and dance his way around the question on what was wrong. "Why?"

At first Renjun doesn't reply, he only sits slightly slumped in the passenger seat, staring out at the city streets. "I'll tell you on one condition" he finally says which only earns a nod from Jeno for him to continue. "That you tell me where you get the money from".

Jeno felt like slamming the breaks on right then and there but he keeps driving, hiding the slight shock as best he could. "Is that the only reason you wanted to come? So you could see where I get money?" As much as he didn't want to admit it, he was a little pissed off. He'd told Renjun before they had gotten to the camp that it was best if he didn't know where the cash came from, yet now he was doing this?

"No I came for another reason that I'll tell you if you show me how you make so much money" he shrugs "I noticed you left camp without any money whatsoever, you must get it from somewhere"

The urge to yell was strong but Jeno held back. He didn't want to get angry at Renjun, he'd worked so hard on controlling his tempter and he wasn't going to throw it all away just because of a silly question.

"Fine, we'll have to wait though,and whilst we're waiting you can tell me what's wrong?" He softened his tone and thankfully it seemed to work as Renjun's posture relaxed.

The elder sighs, picking at the skin around his nail beds, peeling it away and watching small needs of blood bubble to the surface. Jeno wanted to stop him but thought better of it, his attention needed to be on the road.

"I'm looking for a building" he says, almost sounding embarrassed "w-well I think it's a building anyway"

"What type of building?" Was renjun thinking of running away and leaving the camp? Was he leaving Chenle behind too? Jaemin would be heartbroken for sure. And as much as Jeno didn't want to admit it he would also miss Renjun greatly.

Renjun mutters something under his breath and Jeno struggles to hear, asking him to repeat his words louder.
"I said I'm looking for the networking system"

Jeno was silent for a moment, trying to think of all the possible reasons why Renjun would need the networking system, but then it suddenly dawned on him.
Instantly he slams the breaks on, stopping the car in the middle of the busy road, ignoring the loud beeps coming from the vehicles behind.

"You've been talking to Donghyuck" he says, not caring about his grip tightening on the steering wheel.

"I haven't spoken to Donghyuck, Chenle was the one who brought it up, he must be the one talking to Donghyuck" Renjun explains "are you mad?"

Jeno sighs, leaning down and resting his forehead against the wheel. "I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at Donghyuck for getting your brother involved with his and Doyoung's stupid fantasies"

"What do you mean stupid fantasies?Chenle said they could do it for sure"

Jeno felt almost sorry for Renjun, how easily he had been manipulated into thinking that stripping the world of power would put an end to the virus. Of course he understood that Renjun and Chenle were pretty desperate for a cure of some sort, not wanting any more children to go through the same horror they had gone through, but it wasn't as easy to stop as they thought.

"You and your brother have been lied to Renjun" he sighs, starting the car and moving it from the road, parking near the sidewalk. "Those two have been looking into that bullshit since the day that stupid virus was put in action." He notices Renjun shuffle back in his seat a little, trying to put as much room between him and Jeno as he could. "Look, even the government can't stop the virus, do you really think any of us can?"

Jeno watches the words process in Renjun's mind. He knew his words were harsh but they needed to be said, he couldn't have Renjun and Chenle thinking they could solve the whole virus crisis by simply flicking a switch.

"You're right, I'm sorry it was stupid of me to even think about it. L-let's just get what we need and go back" he mutters, waiting patiently for Jeno to start the engine.

"We can't go back tonight, we'll have to spend the night in the city, get the supplies tomorrow morning and then get back to the camp" Jeno says as he takes his keys out of the ignition and opens the door "come on, we'll stay in a hotel tonight".

Renjun was hesitant but he soon gets out of the car and follows Jeno through the busy city.