✯•Thirty-One•✯

The next morning was just like all the others had been for the past month. Donghyuck woke up to find that Mark's bed was empty, his sheets neatly made and his night clothes folded at the foot of the bed.

It was as if last nights conversation had never happened.
Or was it in fact an argument?

With deep sigh, Donghyuck rolls out of bed and throws on some clothes, not caring what clothes he picked out. He slid his feet into his shoes and walked out of the cabin, squinting at the bright sunlight.

If he was being completely honest he was dreading the thought of going to the weekly job assignment meeting. Since his arguments with both Mark and Jeno were still weighing heavy, he knew that the tension would be near suffocating.

He arrives at the meeting hut and swings the door open, only to see that everyone was already sat down, Mark stood at the front with a glare. "You're late" he says and Donghyuck only waves him off as he sits down.

Mark was lucky he even showed up.

Chenle was the only one that offered him a smile. Jisung still seemed a little shy, Jeno was obviously still furious with him, Renjun seemed to be in a world of his own, dark bags under his eyes, and Jaemin seemed way too occupied with making sure Renjun was okay to even care that Donghyuck had walked in.

"Donghyuck you're on fire duty" Mark says, staring down at a clipboard in his hands, ticking something off.

"What!" This causes him to jump from the chair "I was on fire duty last week, I'm supposed to be on gate duty".

Mark sighs, scratching the back of his neck, glancing from Donghyuck and over to Jeno. "It's been agreed that for your own safety it's better to keep you on the grounds of that camp and inside of the gates".

The younger can't help but laugh in disbelief, eyes darting over to Jeno who only looked over at Renjun, taking his hand and leading him out of the hut, Jaemin following close behind.

"Safety? Why for safety?" Chenle asks but Mark was quick to shake his head. Donghyuck tried his best to hide his smirk when hearing this.

"Don't worry about it-"

"Is this about stopping the Virus?" Jisung's soft voice asks which causes all three boys to look over at the youngest. "I-I mean Chenle told me about it, I think it's a p-pretty good idea" he looks down, obviously not liking the multiple gazes aimed his way.

Mark's eyes widen just a little and it takes a moment or two for him to actually look back to Donghyuck. "Seriously? Are you trying to get the entire camp killed?"

Here he goes again, talking about 'killing the camp'. He knew that wouldn't happen, he knew the plan would work but of course he was just 'following Taeyong's orders.'

"Personally Mark, I don't think you'd understand until you actually witness what that Virus can do. It's not morally right. The government could have invented a Virus that would act as a lethal injection would and kill with no pain, but no they went with bursting every vain in the human body until they collapse because they cannot physically handle the pressure" Donghyuck says, he can see the understanding hiding behind Mark's eyes but he would refuse to show it, he always will. "Until you've seen it you'd never understand how badly it needs to be stopped".

A silence passes over the room, the tension too thick to breathe.

"He's right you know" Chenle says, causing Mark's gaze to shift "you'd never understand unless you saw" and with that, he takes Jisung's hand and leads him out of the hut.

Donghyuck sees movement from the corner of his eye and notices Mark reaching out for his hand. Hesitantly he lets Mark take it and the elder pulls him to his chest, hugging him tightly. The action caused Donghyuck's heart to leap ever so slightly, it had been a while since they were this close. The nights of sharing beds, sneaking glances and late night kisses seemed so far away now.

"You're driving me to insanity,Hyuck" he mutters, placing a light kiss to his head. At this point the younger was quick to pull away, putting some distance between them.

"Good" he says, crossing his arms "maybe if you loose your mind enough you'll agree with me, but until that happens..." his voice trails off as he looks into Mark's blue eyes, his head repeating the words 'go to him, go to him' over and over. "...stay away from me".
And with that Donghyuck kicks his chair out of the way, storming out of the hut and towards the huge campfire.

He did what he had to do. He knew if Mark kept talking to him like that then he would crack and go back to him. Mark knew this too of course. But he was determined to stop this Virus even if it was the last thing he ever did.

Before he can reach the fire a hand reaches out and grabs him, pulling him in between two cabins and out of sight.
Donghyuck squints his eyes a little, trying to see in the dim light. It definitely wasn't Mark, he was still at the meeting hut and there was no way he could walk this fast.

Suddenly, a pair of glowing red eyes become visible and almost instantly Donghyuck knew who it was. "Jaemin?"

The younger boy takes a few steps closer, his eyes not shifting back to his usual happy blue colour but staying the deep crimson of anger.
"We need to talk."