Chapter 23

I slowly sit up, my eyes half shut, and to my surprise I find myself in Xavier's bedroom, alone.

The door quickly opens up and Xavier rushes in looking panicked, holding a mug full with a steaming liquid.

"Sorry, I was only gone for a minute, I didn't think you'd wake up so soon." He smiles apologetically.

I smile at him. "It's fine."

He hands me the warm mug and I hold it using both of my hands, feeling the heat spread across my skin pleasantly.

I take a sip to find it's a ginger flavoured tea and I hum in delight taking another sip, I haven't had ginger tea in months and I forgot how much I missed it.

Xavier joins me on the bed and wraps an arm loosely around my waist and leans back and switches on the TV.

"Ethan is taking care of most of my work today because you need to get better," he whispers into my hair, kissing the side of my head gently.

I sit the mug on the small table next to me and turn slightly to face him.

"How long will I take to heal?" I feel extremely weak and fragile, I'm even weaker than a human right now and I don't know if I will be like this forever or not.

He pauses and doesn't say anything, his eyes full of regret as he purses his lips together, not wanting to say anything.

"Well...?" I urge.

"You will never fully heal Beth, I'm sorry."

I feel as though my body has been thrown into a pool of freezing cold water. My body goes rigid as I stare at Xavier with wide and teary eyes.

I open my mouth to speak but nothing escapes, I will be weak forever? All because my mom wouldn't sell me off to a vampire?

I quickly stand up and hobble over to the bathroom door, Xavier is quick to stand up but I shut the door in his face and lock it.

He bangs on the door and pleads with me to let him in but I just side on the edge of the bath, my head in my hands as I try to breathe evenly.

"Please Beth, you need my wolf's strength."

"What good is it going to do? I'm never going to heal," I seethed.

"You could die Beth, let me in now or I will break down this door," he snapped, getting increasingly angrier.

"You won't because I'm leaning against it and that will surely do some damage to someone weak like me," I lie.

He growls and bangs on the door one last time before I hear him huff and slide down against the door onto the carpeted floor.

Silent tears of frustration and hopelessness roll down my face as the familiar feeling of heaviness resides in my chest. She is really gone and she isn't coming back. Ever.

I look around the small room, my eyesight is worse, my hearing is worse, I'm slower, I'm weaker. The list is never ending but the worst thing of all is I don't feel the mate bond as strongly anymore. I wonder how it feels for Xavier, but I'm too scared to find out.

The overwhelming need to break something overtakes me as I violently smash my fists into the wall and let out a violent scream as I begin throwing everything in sight on to the floor, not caring that glass bottles were being smashed.

My chest tightens and oxygen refuses to enter my lungs. I claw my nails into my chest, trying to relieve the pressure a little and it does. I take in short, shallow breaths, clawing at my chest more as it seems to be the only thing helping.