Chapter 38

Xavier's POV
I pace back and forth relentlessly as a group of witches, Alina, Meredith and Lola, use their magic to track down Elizabeth.

I run my hands through my hair and pull at it hard. I haven't slept nor ate in the past 24 hours since Elizabeth has disappeared. I don't know what to do without her, I didn't realise how much I need her until she was gone.

"Alpha, we have tracked down the route they took, we are ready whenever you are," Meredith called over to me, sympathy evident in her tone.
I nod my head frantically, I have had my warriors ready to go at any given moment, there was absolutely no time to waste, I needed Elizabeth in my arms.

"Let's go!" I call out to everyone and I follow closely behind the witches.

After an hour of trekking through the woods, Lola came to a halt and spun around. I froze, unsure of what she was going, there was absolutely nothing nearby, just an empty space of grass.

Alina closed her eyes and began to softly murmur foreign words, sending a cold feeling through the grass, making the plants shiver.

I look to my warriors as they stare at me, waiting for a command, but I stood still and desperately waited for someone to tell me where my mate is.

Suddenly Lola walks up to Alina and grabs her by the throat tightly, digging her nails into the skin of her neck, drawing blood.

"What are you doing?" I roar, catching Meredith's attention, who was standing on the grass, staring down at the ground in confusion.

"Stop! Lola!" Meredith screams, leaping over to Alina and trying to pull her free of Lola's iron grip.

I hold an arm out, making my warriors stop where they were, and watch Meredith begin to chant.

Lola seems to realise what Meredith is doing and starts chanting too, all of a sudden there is a sickening cracking sound and Alina falls limp to the ground.

"No!" Meredith screeches, so loud that birds squawk and fly out of the trees, abandoning their nests.

The ground starts to shake and Meredith falls to her knees, her long white skirt pooling around her as she sobs into her hands.

Lola's face stays emotionless throughout it all and she wastes no time snapping Meredith's neck, sending her into the soil, left for the worms.

I pull my arm away and let my warriors charge at her, suddenly fearful for my mate's life, she clearly doesn't want Elizabeth to be found.

A quarter of my warriors go flying before they can even touch Lola but the rest pin her to the ground, restraining her hands.

I walk over to her and kneel down, wrapping a piece of cloth around her mouth so she can't preform any spells.

"I'm only going to say this once, either you show me where my mate is...or I'm going to have my warriors snap your neck just as you did to Alina and Meredith, then you're going to go with my warriors to the dungeons where I can figure out why you betrayed me," I whisper, dangerously close to her ear, sending a shiver of terror down her spine.

I stand up as my warriors yank her upwards, she doesn't move and just when I go towards her again she motions to the ground and I suddenly realise what she means. Elizabeth is hidden behind magic somewhere underneath us.

Panic sets in when she's trapped under there and I can't get her out.

"Get rid of the magic!" I growl at Lola, restraining my hands from wrapping around her neck and snapping it.