Part 12 : Trial (2)

I am still kinda confused in writing this, so if something doesn't add up, please do tell :D.

<Andrew's POV>

***

A door appeared in thin air, causing me to stumble a few steps back, surprised.
Seeing the Grand Mage entering it, I followed suit. We walked along an eerie and dark hallway before stopping in front of a large and ominous door, riddled with claw marks.

The Grand Mage clasped his two hands together and chanted in a language I've never heard of, causing the eyes of the beasts statues surrounding it to turn red. A few moments later, the entire area shook and trembled, as if we were experiencing an earthquake.
I braced myself, yet nothing happened and the doors started opening itself, revealing a strange pit area that looked like a colloseum.

The Grand Mage led me to a brightly lit room in the back of the Colloseum. Inside, there was only... a single chair, surounded with plain white walls. While I was confused, he leisurely sat on the wooden chair in the middle. He then snapped his fingers multiple times, shadow beasts appearing one after another at every snap.

The beasts hovered right in front of me, causing me to feel alarmed, hence readying my fighting stance.

But then, Vird calmly explained with a loud voice.
"Boy, this will be your pre-trial. Choose wisely. You only have one chance."

"...I understand."
Though dubious, my body relaxed at his words. So I'm not fighting them?

"These shadow beasts will either transform or switch positions with a high ranking beast. As you can see, there are 4 shadow beasts. 3 will shapeshift and 1 will change positions with the actual beast. You have to find out which one of them is the real beast. However, if you pick the wrong one, you may still participate in this trial but your chances of failing will increase drastically. This is--a handicap." He explained with a serious glint in his eyes.

The next second, the shadows became shrouded by mist. One by one, actual beasts started to emerge until the mist fully dissipitated.

The four beasts all look vastly different from one another. Among them is a white deer, a small phoenix, a lesser dragon, and a pixie. Though they were all highly ranked, Airene's contracted beast... that boy named Grey seemed more intimidating than them since he was brimming with hostility towards us.

"Now choose, boy."

Stepping closer to the four beasts, I could feel their eyes directed... on me. Shivers went down my spine as I closely observed them, one by one. Stiff and silent and they were, they all looked dangerously alive.

"Master Vird, may I touch them?"
I asked him, since his explanation was vague.

"Go ahead."
The Grand Mage lazily gestured, waving his hand.

I nodded at his approval and examined them one by one.

"Strange..." I muttered to myself, grasping my chin.

.....

"...There's nothing different about them."

Though I looked calm, my heart started palpitating, indicating my unease.

Deep in thought, my focus increased as I continued trying to find the thing that made one of them... differ from the others.

And so, for a moment, I entered a staring contest with unmoving beasts and finally found what I was looking for.

"!!!"

Why didn't I realize sooner?!
Something as obvious as this...

The eyes. The look in their eyes. I was too busy trying to find the abnormalities on their bodies, that I'd completely forsook their soul.