Part 16 : Why

This Chapter is told by,
Clayden's POV

_________________________________________

I was a strange child.

Since I was young, before most kids could talk, I was already able to walk. Even my parents were slightly wary of me, their eldest child and I felt that It... was strange.

I was able to understand what they were saying when I was a mere infant. Occasionally, I would try to reply, but my mouth would not let me.

As time passed, I became more understanding of my situation and why the adults viewed me so, and I grew to not mind, instead, I felt indifferent. But what I could not get used to, no... will never be able to get used to, was the disdainful and mocking gaze of the other aristocrats.

I am the heir to the Chrome family, a Marquis Family. But, by having a commoner upbringing, the ridicule in their eyes were always aimed at me.

At first, I couldn't put up with it, I hated it.

"Why? What did I ever do to all of you?! So what if my mother was a commoner! Why must you lot care about that..!"

Before everyone knew about the loving relationship my mother and father had, we used to constantly be the center of gossip. They'd assume numerous things about us, ranging from my mother being a mistress to, well... inappropriate things. Though, it was a relief that they had never hurt me physically. Actually, to be more precise they were too cowardly too. But how was I, a mere child able to stop the mouths of numerous people from talking?

Though I hated my situation, even I had a place of salvation, my uncle. He was the only one who treated me kindly... like a normal person. He used to genuinely smile at me, laugh along with me, telling dry jokes to me and... Andrew.

Though there was one thing about him that I found dissatisfying. He was too kind and treated both us fairly. Not kinder to one or the other. As a child, having the person you like the most, divert his attention to another person was... uncomfortable. But as time passed by, I slowly grew used to it... at least, until... that happened.

That incident made the surface of my negative thoughts, forcing me to use a put on a mental defensive mechanism. In this case, it was a noble's ultimate weapon, a smile. Never smiling genuinely again, I became cold... and distant whilst silently loathing the aristocratic system, or to be more precise, the majority of the aristocrats themselves.

When I had first met her, she gave me a horrible impression, leading me to believe that she was exactly like the other pompous and heretic nobles. But the impression she gave the second time we met was vastly... different.

Airene Annelise Roselle was her name and she was as pompous as they say.

One close look towards her and I can clearly say, that I wouldn't want to get involved with her in any way. But sometimes, fate can be strange.

***

The first time my family went to visit the Roselle Estate, she made Chrona cry and just that was enough to further worsen my impression of her. The next time I met her was when my parents pressured me to become her tutor with no room to refuse due to Duchess Roselle who personally requested it.

At noon on the very next day, I hastily made preparations to go to the Roselle Estate. But as I arrived there, I was met with... quite a surprise. A small girl with doll-like innocent features poked her head out from behind her mother.

She adorned a simple navy blue dress that had a certain captivating charm to it. Upon the realization to whom the small girl was, my slightly warm eyes turned cold, though the smile I wore hadn't once disappeared.