Part 18 : Caiden

This chapter is a completely newly added one, so the number of views and votes will be nil, thank you ^^

Yep, short chapter since I have school tomorrow and I need to have a honeymoon with my bed soon, so goodbye xD

Also, I will edit this tomorrow.

***

"How did you know?"

I asked through clenched teeth as I felt apprehensive about the current situation. Nevertheless, the possibility of someone other than me reincarnated here as well still stands.

As I calmed my thoughts and suspicions, I realized that in actuality, the fact that I came from another world wasn't the least bit threatening to my position. The residents of this world never came to know of the parallel universe theory, hence wouldn't come to believe it if Clayden were to announce it. But the fact that Clayden, a character who was born and raised in this world knew about that was somewhat unsettling since he acts the same way the in-game Clayden did.

Besides, there's nothing to gain or lose even if he told them, that is, unless...

He was from the Dark Guild.

The leader of the Dark Guild, Luciela Cromwell knew about dimension traveling since she specialized in the void and spacial magic, a subdivision of the main 6 magic. Though the average members may only know a gist of their general properties, it didn't mean all the members are in the dark.

I do not know much about it myself since the game never really elaborated on it, but I'm honestly just afraid of being enslaved, cursed, or something that only works if they know your 'name'... according to manga and novels I've read.

In short, I should be more vigilant, considering the current alarming circumstance.

Clayden observed as I deeply thought to myself, never retracting my gaze from him. A hint of delight flashed in his eyes as his lips arced upwards to a smile, gazing at me with endearment.

I didn't catch the tender expression he was giving as I was far too deep in my thoughts, instead, I asked him where he knew about the different dimensions beforehand as I was concerned about the Dark Guild.

"I can't explain it, but I knew you," Clayden said with a solemn and pained smile.

"What do you mean by that?" I folded my arms and asked him. There was no-one I know of that was similar in any way to Clayden, causing me to be confused.

"I don't know... I had my memories when I was an infant, and that caused me to be self-aware. But as I grew, my memories gradually disappeared and I never really thought of it since I thought it to be natural. But when I met you after you lost your memories, I felt.. strange, like we had known each other. But I did not think much of it as my initial impression of you was horrible."

Clayden lengthily explained as he seemed awkward talking about it, causing him to scratch his cheek in embarrassment.

"But trust me, my impression of you now has improved by leaps and bounds, so don't worry." He said as flailed his hands a little before placing them on my shoulders.

"Ailene, this may sound strange, but I could tell who you were by your smell. A fragrance of lilies that lingered in my previous life, bringing about refuge amidst the horrid battlefield." With a beet-red appearance, he tried to focus his wavering gaze on mine before speaking again in a low voice.

"I was... Caiden. Caiden Myers. Do you perhaps... remember me?"

As he came about the revelation, I felt as if a bomb was dropped right above me, causing me to explode in surprise. My legs weakened as I knelt to the floor before looking up at the flustered him with teary eyes, ignoring the fact that he knew me by how I smelled.

This person was Eric's best friend and, he was also the person who saved me from my early death. Though it was a pity that I died soon after...

"Caiden!" I jumped up and tightly embraced him, tears flowing out my eyes.

"No wonder you were so irritaiting, turns out it was you all along!" I continued, still embracing him.

Soon after, I let go of him who seemed reluctant to do so but complied. But that sense of relief was soon turned to anguish as I thought of something and asked him another question, a question that could forever remain unsolved.

"...What-what happened to Eric?" I asked with an indiscernible expression.

Clayden shook his head as he ruffled his raven-colored hair.

"... I don't know. At this point, the only things I remember about the past were all blurred figures of you and another guy, who I used to greet as captain. Maybe he was the Eric you speak of. But... both of you disappeared days before I was shot, so I don't know."

Hearing this, I rationalized myself and suppressed both the relief and anguish I previously felt. Above all,  I now have to deal eith the fact thag I coild... lose my previous memories as well.

Aside from that, it is already unbelievable that Caiden reincarnated in this world, so what are the odds of Eric doing the same, seeing as both of them had never even played this game before.

Letting out a sigh, I smiled back at Caiden, no, Clayden, and patted his shoulders.

"Sorry I was mean to you, buddy. You still wanna duel?" Beaming a smile, I sincerely asked him.

'Though I don't regret it since you were slightly irritating.'

"Of course, that's what I exposed my self for." He declared with his usual air of confidence

I wasn't able to tell who he was due to him being very different from Caiden. Caiden was stoic and rigid while Clayden was cunning and deceitful. But at least, both of them had one thing in common, the dorky and pure smile they show on rare occasions. But that is about it, the old Caiden who heroically saved my life was no more.

Farewell.

***

I urged Clayden to open up the icebox, but as I left, I was met with quite the surprise.

Andrew was patiently meditating below a nearby tree, not noticing the icebox that had already melted into puddles of water and the people exiting it.

He sat there silently, his surroundings serene, tranquil, and peaceful while light gusts of wind blew at his midnight colored hair, causing it to sway. From this direction, he seemed like an otherwordly being, in contrast to his usual pestering and possessiveness.

But the calm image shattered as he soon opened his eyes and creased his brows before shooting a violent gust of wind towards Clayden's direction.

Clayden who was left dazed by our previous interaction was a step too late in defending, causing him to be left unguarded to the attacks. I stepped in to save him and blocked the wind blades using my flames to disperse it.

"What is wrong with you, Andrew?!" In annoyance, I asked him in a loud voice. But before I could understand what was going on, Andrew ran towards me, using his wind as a speed boost and brought me to his embrace.

"Thank god you were safe, I was afraid that you'd disappear." He spoke in a muffled voice.

"What do you mean?" I replied to him while creasing my eyebrows due to feeling uncomfortable. I was only inside the icebox with Clayden a few moments, and he said that he was afraid I'd disappear?

"No, it's nothing." He said as he gently let go of me.

But as I was contemplating, he yet again opened that annoying mouth of his that could cause one's blood to boil.

"Now let's go to take a shower, seeing that you've been dirtied by that repulsive thing. I do not want the person that's going to be my companion to be dirtied by others." Andrew said in a low voice as he dragged me along to the direction of my maid, Anna.

"..." There goes my slightly better impression.