Book 4. Tony Gets Lost.

Mummy, Ben and Tony were going to the big supermarket.  Today was shopping day and Mummy  had a  list of things to get.  Mummy found a trolley and picked Ben up and put him into the seat.

"Now keep tight hold of Tony.  If you lose him, you might not get him back."  Ben held Tony tightly.   He did not want to lose his best friend.

Mummy pushed the trolley into the store.  First they went to the birthday cards and Ben helped choose a card for his Nanny's birthday.   Next Mummy pushed the trolley down to the toothpaste aisle and picked up some toothpaste and mouthwash.  Then they went to the baby aisle and Mummy picked up some nappies and wipes.  Ben put the wipes into the trolley for Mummy, all the time holding Tony tightly.

Next they went and picked up Ben's favorite milky dessert.  Ben liked this very much and so did Tony Bear.  " Hurray, "  thought Tony. " I love that to."  Next they picked up milk.  Then it was off to the cheese aisle for a block of cheese.  Mummy then headed off to get tomato sauce and baked beans.  What was next on the list?  Mummy stopped and checked the items that she had got so far off the list. 

"  Looks like cereals are next."  Said Mummy,  and off they went to the cereal aisle.  " Would you like to put the cereals in the trolley Ben?"   Ben nodded his head.  He liked helping his Mummy shopping.  Ben put Tony on the seat beside him, and Ben held open his arms for the first box.  

They were very big boxes, he had to turn in his seat to get them into the trolley.  Ben put one box, then two, then three into the trolley. 

"Thankyou Ben, that was very good helping. " Said Mummy. "  Now we need to get some bread. "  And off Mummy went to the bread aisle.  Mummy gave Ben the loaf and he turned and put it in the trolley.  " Good boy Ben. "  Ben smiled, pleased with himself for helping Mummy.  " What's next?"  Said Mummy looking at the list.   Juice was next.  Off they went to the drinks aisle. 

Mummy picked up a bottle of orange juice and handed it to Ben.  Ben turned and put it in the trolley. Then Mummy handed him a bottle of blackcurrant, and Ben put that into the trolley to.  " Now we have to get some coffee."  Said Mummy.  The coffee came in a glass jar, so Mummy put that into the trolley.   Ben reached down beside him to hold Tony Bear again,  he wasn't there.  Ben looked in the trolley.  He could not see Tony.  Ben started to cry.  Mummy looked down.

" What's wrong Ben? " Ben held out his hands.  At first Mummy did not understand. Ben still could not talk.  Mummy looked at his empty hands.  Ben put his hand on the empty seat at the side of him.  Then Mummy understood.  " Oh no, where's Tony?"  Ben looked up at his Mummy and shook his head.  He did not know.  Mummy looked around the trolley and then on the floor. There was no sign of Tony.

" Right let's back track our steps. "  Mummy and Ben went back down all the aisles that that they had been down.  They looked on the floor as they went.  Tony could not be far, surely.  But every aisle they went down, there was no Tony Bear.  Ben started to cry again. " Come on Ben.  Cheer up, we will find Tony."  But Ben could not cheer up, he had lost his friend.

Mummy and Ben were now back at the baby aisle.  There was still no sign of Tony.  Mummy was sure that they would find him.  On a shelf, Mummy caught sight of some child safety straps and picked up two packs.  Mummy put them in the trolley.  " Come on Ben, we still have two more places to try."  Mummy pushed Ben back to the card aisle.  Ben looked at the floor. There was no sign of Tony.  Ben's heart began to sink.  Tony Bear was gone forever.

"One more place to try. " Said Mummy and pushed Ben to the customer services desk.  Mummy and Ben qued up.  Then it was Mummy's turn.  " Has a little grey bear in a blue hat and scarf with the name Tony on his hat been handed in please?"

" I will look. " Said the lady.  The lady opened a little cupboard and bent down to look.  " Would this be him?"  She asked bringing out a very upset and sad looking little bear.

" That's him." Said Mummy.  The lady handed Tony to Ben. Ben hugged him tightly.  Tony stopped crying and hugged Ben back.  He thought that he would never see Ben again.  He gave a huge smile as Ben hugged him tightly.  It had been very scary being picked up by a stranger and then put into a dark cupboard. " Can I pay for these here please?" Asked Mummy handing the lady the safety straps.

" Of course you can. " Said the lady. Mummy paid for the straps. " Would you like a bag?"

 "No thankyou, would it be alright to open them now? "

"Yes. " Said the lady.  Mummy opened the straps. She slipped the two looped ends together.  Then attached the press studded end to Tony. Looping it around him and under one arm.  The other end she attached to the trolley.  " That is a good idea.  I would not have thought of that.  You wont loose Tony Bear now little one." Said the lady to Ben.  Ben looked at the strap that attached Tony to the trolley and looked up at his Mummy with a smile.

" That is now a Tony Bear safety strap. " Said Mummy with a smile. "Now we can't lose Tony at all."  Tony smiled. He felt a lot safer now that he had his strap on.  Ben still held on tight to him though while they finished the shopping.  Ben was not going to lose his friend again.

When Tony Bear got home, he told the others all about his adventure in the big store and he proudly showed of his safety strap that Mummy had bought  to keep him safe.  And what an adventure it was, thought Tony with a smile.