Chapter 1. The First Encounter

So I turned 18 a little over 3 months ago.

Normal kids would be out partying and getting into many troubles but not me, I preferred the quiet life.

That night I could hear the wind battering against our house, the shadow of trees overlooking our semi-detached looked strangely like a creature I had seen in a horror movie on my own weeks before.

I was lying on my single bed, a bed far too small for a guy of my build but I could never ask my parents for a bigger one, they were more interested in themselves.

The world always looked eerie and somewhat haunting at night but I liked it, made me feel as though we weren't alone in this life.

I was staring at the ceiling listening to the rain pelting against the fragile window, wondering whether at any moment it would shatter into a million pieces, that would make my night more interesting but no doubt I would get the blame as I always do.

It was a night unlike any other; I mean living in this part of the world didn't come without its bad weather and living in a small town in the south of England with torrential rain warnings most days didn't help much either.

The thing I remember most about that night was the absolute silence, well apart from the wind and rain but other than that the world was mute. Usually my parents were arguing, most of the time after my step-dad had been out drinking and had had one too many pints and fancied using my mum as a punching bag, not that she didn't deserve it mind. I couldn't even hear my younger step-brother snoring for all to hear like he usually does in the other room and he's usually loud especially with the paper-thin walls that separated our rooms.

It felt like something bad was about to happen, like the calm before the storm so to speak.

And then it happened, clear as a day or night depending on where you where.

The night just got darker, I couldn't even hear the rain anymore.

At first I thought I'd gone deaf and tried to scream out, not that anyone would answer or come running but it was worth a try.

My head felt like it was being squeezed into a tiny balloon that would pop at any moment.

I came to and could just about make out a high-pitched squeal as though someone had set free a pig into the house, although that would be unlikely, but then what was that noise?

What was happening and why could I still hear that noise? It sounded more like ringing now, a constant chime playing in my ears.

My head was in tatters, heavy hands pushing down on my brain making it hard to think and see, my vision blurred.

I tried to make out a silhouette ahead of me but of whom I wondered; the figure seemed to be of a large proportion, not someone I would have recognised, definitely not my step-dad, he was small and scrawny and my brother muscly but it couldn't have been him.

I remember amidst all the squealing and ringing I could just make out a deep male voice and I believe he said "It's time to wake up, the future awaits you," then I saw a flash of white.

It's now April 8th 1994, all the events I described happened around my birthday some 3 months earlier, I awoke in hospital a little over a week ago from being in a coma after what happened which I am still unsure of, I can still recall moments.

I read that when certain occurrences happen to a person, it's very difficult to remember all the details but I can still see brief moments as clear as anything, even the voice and what he said but what did he mean 'the future awaits you'. I didn't understand, who was he and how did he get in my bedroom, if only I saw his face it may have made more sense.