Chapter 15. The Final Guardian

"No, you can't do it, you'll hurt him," I hear a woman's voice say.

"He won't be hurt, he will be one of us," comes another yet deep and darker man's voice.

The world in darkness.

Screams, cries and all sadness surrounding my every move.

I can't see the peoples faces but I can hear their voices, somewhat analogous.

"What do you want with me?" I ask though my voice sounds ghostly and far away.

Although I can't see their faces, I can see something with looks oddly familiar. On top of their foreheads is a bright mark in the shape of a pitchfork with a dagger for a handle.

It's the mark of the Followers.

They're closing in around me and behind them are dark beings much larger with the incandescent symbol emblazoned on their shadowy robes.

Who were these strange beings towering over the Followers?

And what did they want from me?

"You will be one of us," the man's voice says.

"Don't be afraid. You'll like it on this side, I promise," the woman's voice says.

Darker and darker than anything I've ever witnessed.

I can literally feel my insides, my thoughts, my dreams, my every passion becoming infernal and damned.

Hard to break free from this malicious grip on my soul.

"NOOOOOOOOOO!" I scream, which echoes through my every nightmare.

"ALEX, WAKE UP," a friendly voice says pulling back towards light and happiness.

I rise in the back of Charlotte's car, sweat dripping profusely from my brow.

I can still see those beings and the immense darkness trying to pull me back down.

"Alex, are you Ok? You were screaming," Alice asks.

Her voice sounds angelic.

"I'm Ok, I guess. Just had a bad dream that's all," I reply but leave it at that.

Don't want my friends knowing anything more than what they need to. I wouldn't want to burden them with my nightmares, especially when I know that the majority of dreams I've had in the past few months, good and bad have come true.

This thought frightened the life out of me, knowing that whatever was in my nightmare could be just a glimpse of what's coming.

"Where are we?" I asked.

"Maplewood. Charlotte drove most of the night before she pulled up at a layby and fell asleep. I woke early in the morning and drove the rest of the way."

"Where is Bobby and Charlotte?" I said realising they weren't here.

"They went for a look around while you were asleep. Should be back soon."

"Thank you for being here," I said, the darkness of that dream clouding my thoughts. If it wasn't for Alice's sweet familiar voice, I may not have woken up.

"It's fine," she replied, puzzled, "You sure you're OK?"

The smell of smoked bacon and melted butter attracting my nostrils.

"You guys hungry?" Bobby spoke, walking towards the car holding the most glorious thing ever, bacon sandwiches.

"That is the best thing you've ever said," I answered, taking the sandwich greedily.