Chapter 4. The Search Begins

I was awoken very early this morning by loud bangs, smashing, and shouting.

At first I thought someone had invaded us, and I was in the middle of it all until I woke up fully and could hear my step-father and step-brother arguing downstairs.

Usually I wouldn't care much but myself and Bobby really seemed to get on so I felt like I had a duty to uphold and see what was happening.

I crept to the top of the stairs, kicking something hard on the way, trying not to scream in pain whilst holding my foot.

I've never heard them arguing before so this sounded bad.

Bobby was always the favorite son, did nothing wrong and his dad was talking to him like he was, well, me I guess.

They must have heard me creep up because both turned round instantly but then looked at each other again to argue.

"Oh look, the cavalry has arrived to save the day," Ralph slurred, drunk as usual.

"Don't you dare take this out on him, he's done nothing wrong," said Bobby quickly turning to look in my direction and giving me a wink.

I felt proud, no one had ever stuck up for me especially against my step-father.

"Why don't you tell Alex exactly what you told me about mom, I'm sure it will please him to know the truth," said Bobby, furiously looking at his father once more.

Ralph just stood there angry but twiddling his thumbs as though nervous, fighting to hold back his emotions.

"Come on otherwise I'll do it, he has a right to know," he cautioned.

"OK, OK I'll tell him, just hold on a second," he slurred again before walking over to the kitchen table.

"Well Alex, as you well know me and Andrea argued before she left and she hasn't been seen since."

I nodded, nervously thinking where is this going.

"There's more too it though, more than what I told you and it won't be easy. Well, that night after she came back from seeing you at the hospital, which I knew about, I'm sorry. She was in tears saying how helpless you looked and that she wishes she could do more to help. She went on about your real dad, saying how much of a better father he would have been if only he didn't disappear before you was born. We argued and after that she left saying she was going to find him then her life would be better," he finished, glancing through alcohol soaked eyes at my confused mournful face.

"I'm guessing by your expression you knew nothing about your real dad and a good thing too, he was no good for leaving all those years ago," he continued without remorse.

I wanted to retaliate and stick up for this unknown man but for the life of me I couldn't. As much as I hated thinking this I agreed with Ralph.

"Look, I will tell you something which you should have known years ago, your real dad disappeared just before you was born, he didn't die or leave her like she made out. A terrible thing happened all those years ago, he got into many troubles, messed with wrong people and they murdered his parents as a warning then he disappeared. My guess is they killed him too and disposed of the body but I don't know for certain, I only know what I was told from people around the town but I might know of someone that can tell you more," he then finished while looking smug, perhaps feeling like he'd done a good deed for once.

I was speechless and partly tired because it was three in the morning but my head was soaring with what Ralph had just told me so I couldn't imagine sleeping at the moment.

I didn't want to believe him because he always lied about everything but if this was a lie then it sounded like a convincing one and it had me and Bobby persuaded. I mean why would he make up something like that?