Chapter 12. The Asylum

"I'll lead the way, the rest of the Knights will follow on, Alex and Alice will stay safely at the back. Not that I don't trust you Alex but we have the weapons and experience," whispered Albert whilst holding a large shield.

I nodded in his direction to say I was happy to stay at the back out of sight. To be honest, it was a relief, who knew what we'd come up against.

Alice held on to me tight. It felt nice to have a person who relied on you to look after them, especially someone as beautiful as Alice.

The spiral steps carried up and up further and further as though they were taking us to the heavens.

Every so often I'd see markings on the walls lit up from COMPS torch. They appeared to be creatures of some kind but of what I couldn't say because either they weren't from this century or the markings were so old they'd worn away; I knew from the form that they weren't human.

"I think we are nearing the top. Call it strange but I can smell something oddly familiar. All be on your guard and no matter what, we don't break away from the group," whispered Albert from the front, "Alders heroes. Lions Roar. We stand united. Forevermore," he suddenly added in which the rest of the Knights put their hands on their chests in honour.

"It's what they chant before battle. Sort of like a Knights motto," Alice answered the confused look on my face to which I merely grunted in agreement.

The air definitely had an odd but distinct smell to it, almost overpowering.

The group immediately stopped, causing us at the back to almost fall backwards down the long spiral steps but luckily we were fortunate and remained standing.

"What's the hubbub?" complained Grinder angrily after being stepped on by COMP.

"We seem to have hit a brick wall, literally," answered Albert.

COMP shined his torch ahead so everyone could see. Albert was right, there was a brick wall directly in our path blocking the way, definitely no way forward.

"Does this mean we have to turn back?" asked Morag politely.

"Like hell dae it, I never turn back. There must be a way through," argued Grinder.

He was right. Why would the way be blocked? It didn't make sense. Clearly it was some sort of puzzle we had to solve.

"COMP any ideas," Albert asked, almost pleading.

"M-m-me, how would I kn-know?" he answered nervously.

"Well, you found the door in the bookcase, perhaps you may be able to help with this one."

Even in the dim light, I'd never seen COMP look so scared and he generally looked like that all the time but this was different, as though he didn't want to let Albert down.

Thinking hard he finally spoke.

"P-p-perhaps there's a hidden mechanism to make a d-d-door open, like a lever or button somewhere on the wall d-d-disguising the way through."

"Good answer COMP. See that's why I ask you these questions, because you have the answers. No need to look so frightened," Albert answered whilst patting COMP hard on the back.

COMP let out a fake laugh then coughed as Albert's hard pat forced him to jolt forward into Sofia.

"S-sorry," he murmured to which she didn't reply.

"Come on then ladies and gents, why are you standing around, you heard COMP, MOVE YOURSELVES," shouted Albert, frustrated.

The knights searched the wall and surrounding area for a lever or a button that might clear the way but with no luck. Not a morsel of hope could help them get through.