Chapter 22. The Bitter End

I could feel haunting eyes staring down, taunting me.

"Don't fight it, give in to evil," they echoed through the walls of my warped mind.

My energy had depleted to the point of not caring anymore about whether I lived or died.

I felt drained as if the Never-ones literally sucked the life and goodness out of me.

"Yes, that's it. Just give in like your father did and then we can rule together."

The more they taunted me, the more I wanted to give in to their powers.

"Alex, Alex," they spoke fiendishly, "ALEX, ALEX!" the voices grow louder and yet much softer.

I'd failed, and I knew it, the only thing to do was become one of them.

"ALEX, GET UP!" a familiar voice sounded.

The obscurity all around faded, the voice like an angel fighting away the demons.

"ALEX, COME ON!"

The voice I recognised was my mum.

"Mum, what happened?" I said, staring up into her kind eyes.

"You blacked out. Started muttering things about the Never-ones and how evil will always prevail but I'll tell you one thing, evil will never prevail when you have a family that can support you. Now get up, we need to get out of this place."

She was right you know, about family and support.

When my father became controlled by the Never-ones, he had no one to support him and stop the Never-ones from taking over his mind but I do have a family and support and they would not control me.

I stood up with the little effort I had left, helped by my mum.

I then helped her pick up my dad.

I might not care about what happens to me but I care about my family and no one or nothing will take them away from me again.

"Mum, can I ask you a favour?" I said.

"Anything."

"I want my name to be Leon Hunter from now on if that's Ok."

Not sure whether it was the humidity of this place but the look on her face told me she was upset.

"You don't like your name?" she whimpered.

"No, quite the opposite actually, I loved the name Alex Richmond, but that's the old me. When I took this new name, I kind of became a new person. The old me was weak, soft and would let everyone walk all over him especially that piece of filth you called your husband for so long but not now, no, I'm stronger than I ever was and this new name gives me more life than I ever had before, it gives me a purpose."

She cried uncontrollably.

"That's beautiful son," she said, "Of course I don't mind you keeping the name, I'm just happy to see how much you've changed. You're a good person, you know that."

Her arm was resting against mine as we dragged my father away from the evil that encompassed us and a feeling of positive energy flowed through me, saying everything would be OK from now on.

"Now, how do we get out of here?" she asked.

You know, amid the emotions and evil I'd completely lost track of where I was for a moment and truth be told we were lost.

I didn't have a clue how to get out of here.

Either carry on this dull path into nothingness and let darkness take us or go back out the way I came in which is up into the pit whence I fell but that would be impossible.