Chapter 20. Truth, loyalty and the agreement

I sat at the back of this bus like vehicle with my hood up, staring utter hatred at the people whom I wouldn't be seen dead with and now I was one of them.

The bus took us out of the city and into the world beyond.

It was light as we left and gradually became darker, like we were driving into the heart of evil.

My enemies, foes, opposition were now the people I had to look to for knowledge and some kind of comfort.

"You scared?" a fellow Follower asked me.

"Scared? No, why do you ask?" I replied to this idiotic question.

"Newcomers are always scared even if they don't actually show it," he said.

"Yeah well I don't get scared so you best back off," I warned.

He sniggered before moving down the bus to annoy someone else.

What was that about?

The bus screeched to a halt some time later and everyone piled out.

We'd stopped in the middle of nowhere or so I'd thought.

"Start walking," spoke another Follower, pointing towards a group of mountains.

I'd become a Follower so all I could do at this point was follow the rest towards what I thought was just a bunch of rocks.

The darkness here seemed darker than anything I'd ever witnessed before or was that just my mind becoming ever darker from the evil that encumbered me.

A smell of burning wood scented the cold air.

Sparks of light from a roaring fire illuminating the black night.

The place I thought were just rocks was in fact a secret Followers hideaway carved deep in the rock surface.

A cave large enough to hold an army hidden from the world.

Followers of all sizes wearing the hoods and marks on their heads, throwing wood and whatever they could get their hands on into the fire.

I didn't have a clue what was happening or what their next plan was.

My plan remained the same though, I'd completed phase one of that plan and that was become a Follower and now somehow I had to gain entry to the Neverworld.

"GATHER ROUND COMRADES!" spoke the leader of the Followers, who had easily got away from the fighting.

"Where's your mark?" a bulky man asked me, standing beside waiting for his leader to give out the orders.

"I.. I don't have one.... yet, I'm new," I stammered.

"Well you ain't one of us till you do," he cautioned.

"FELLOW COMPANIONS. WHAT HAPPENED BACK AT THE CHAPEL WAS JUST A MERE SCRATCH TO OUR EVER-GROWING GROUP, OUR MASTERS WOULD BE PROUD TO SEE HOW THEIR WORSHIPPERS HAVE GROWN IN NUMBER. THE TIME IS NEARLY UPON US AT THE NEXT SOLAR ECLIPSE WHEN THE PORTAL WILL BREAK AND OUR MASTERS WILL ROAM THE EARTH ONCE MORE AND WE WILL SMITE ALL THOSE THAT CROSS US. WHO AMONG US IS A TRUE FOLLOWER TILL THE END AND WHEN THE NEVER-ONE'S RISE ONCE AGAIN, WILL REMAIN TRUE AND LOYAL TO THE CAUSE."

A sea of hands and shouts of hooray flew into the air.

"THIS ONE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A MARK!" shouted out the large man standing next to me.

What was his problem?

"BRING HIM FORWARD!" the leader instructed.

A pile of heavy hands pushed me forwards towards the leader.