Chapter 5. What the old lady knew

Strange vibrant lights, sounds I wanted to follow and an incredible smell was pulsing through my senses.

Ahead of me a narrow corridor loomed, with doors open either side as I walked on.

Each door closing as I made my way past.

"No Entry!" came voices from behind the closed doors.

The world a blur as I moved my way up this corridor.

It was getting further away, I could see more doors closing, all but one in the distance.

Too far to see I wanted to run but my legs wouldn't let me.

I stood still, thinking this is a dream, this isn't real.

Repeating it over and over.

I closed my eyes saying the same thing, opened them and the door appeared to be a handshake away.

I reached out to turn the brass knob; it opened with a clunk.

I was standing in my bedroom but there was something not right about it.

A voice of my inner conscious telling me to look in the mirror but scared at what I'd see.

I stomped my way through the clutter and debris that laid around my room, eventually standing in front of the body length glass.

I saw a reflection of myself but I was older, much older with graying hair and a bigger frame.

The reflection spoke out as though it had a mind of its own.

"You must remember Alex, remember that night," said the reflection.

The world went from beneath me and I was falling down and down.

Then a light consumed me from below.

"Alex, Alex wake up please," said a voice.

I then woke to see Bobby leaning over, looking worried.

"I'm fine Bobby, don't worry, I'm OK," I said going to move but regretting this as I fell back down onto the soft chair which I was sat.

"Don't move Alex, you must have hit your head pretty hard. You blacked out again, and I saved your life, again. Making a habit of this aren't we," he chuckled.

"Where are we?" I pondered.

As I spoke these words, I noticed an elderly woman sitting in a chair over in the corner looking at us.

"You fell into this ladies rose bush and she told me to bring you inside, she's been really nice," he explained.

Looking over at her again I had questions to ask but dared to move.

"Excuse me Madam, are you Ms. Bella?" I asked, looking over at the woman.

"My friends call me Bella but you can call me Isabelle," she replied, standing up to walk over to us.

She had a worn look like she didn't care, long hair that was gray and not brushed and I noticed she limped when she walked.

"I am sorry, Isabelle. We've been searching for you and need to ask a few questions, if that's ok?" I blurted out.

The look of terror on her face, her eyes wide as though scared.

"What sort of questions?" she replied.

"Please don't worry, but first I'd like to say thank you for bringing me into your home after I fell, that was a very honest thing you did," I said smiling brightly.