Chapter 18. The Knights Guild

A bright light fell on the darkness, making my eyes hurt.

The first thing I saw was two people dressed in robes with their hoods up.

Unthinkable questions rattling around in my already twisted head.

Had we somehow stumbled upon the Followers secret hideout?

Or had the Followers somehow taken over the Knights Guild?

And an even crazier thought of had Albert switched sides and sent us to our doom?

"Who are you and how do you know that password?" a man's deep voice spoke.

Did I answer and see what happens or not answer and suffer a worse fate?

"Albert from the Knights order gave us brief directions to your hideout and how we could get the password, we're not the enemy. Please, my name is Alex, and this is my brother Bobby and our friend Charlotte. We're looking for a woman named Marie," I answered, quickly trying to get everything in before they did anything to us.

There was an awkward pause where I thought something immoral was about to happen but instead the two took down their hoods.

A man and a woman stood before us but not scarred and rough looking like the Followers, they were clean, fresh and smart.

"Why do you want to see Marie?" the woman asked.

Did I tell them the whole truth or just stretch it out a little since I didn't really know much about them?

I think perhaps the latter just until the moment is right.

"She may have important information that we could use," I lied.

"Information? What kind of information?" the man asked.

"At this point in time it is none of your business. Well, not until I know we can trust you. I mean, we don't even know your names."

I could sense an argument brewing which I really didn't have time for.

"Sorry for the intrusion into your business but we need to ask questions for the safety of the guild. My name is Scott, and this is Molly. We're part of the Knights of Alder, have been for some time and know Albert and the rest of the Knights pretty well. There are 6 of us here including Marie who isn't here at this precise moment. We'll introduce you all to the others later once you tell us what it is you need," the man replied calmly.

I was stuck in a rut now; I had to tell them something otherwise they'd probably kick us out and then where would we be. Lost, that's where.

"Do you mind if we go someplace more comfortable and we'll tell you everything?"

They agreed to my offer and took us out of the cold of the entrance and into the depths of the guild.

It looked oddly familiar to the Alder stop facility back at the castle yet more updated and with the times.

A roaring fireplace greeted us in the front room with a snooker table and games machine situated at the back.

"Would you like a drink?" Molly asked kindly.

"We don't have time," I said, bluntly.

"Excuse me, but some of us are quite thirsty. Yes please, I'll have a tea and whatever they want," Charlotte spoke.

I heard her mumble something about my attitude to Bobby but I ignored it as I had more important matters at hand.

I shook my head rudely, regarding a drink as Molly went off into another room of this rather vast facility.