Chapter 17. Havenhollow

This next part of our adventure would be the hardest.

This time around we weren't just searching for a bunch of random important people. This time we'd have to go beyond anything we've ever encountered, including our inner fears and nightmares.

There was no looking back now. This was the moment I became the man I needed to be, strong and courageous and ready to battle anyone or anything that came in my way.

"Can we go over the plan again?" Bobby asked.

"Really Bobby, we've gone over it at least 5 times," Charlotte replied, annoyed.

"Oh, come on, it's a long journey and I want to make sure I forget nothing."

"Fine," I answered, "It can't hurt to go over it one last time just so we're all clear. Right, so we get to Havenhollow in around 3 hours depending on how many stops we take and they will be minimal mind you. The city is large and the one place that neither of us has been so we need to be vigilant no matter what. We find a place to park then ask around for the whereabouts of the main market. Remember, we need to find a street vendor called Maurice. We don't know what he sells or what he looks like, just that I have to say some random Icelandic phrase and if it is the guy he'll give the right reply. It may take a while, hopefully not, but needs to be done and then he'll give us the password to get into the Knight's Guild. We also have the location to the Guild but again, neither of us has been to Havenhollow so it could be hard to find. The only real clue Albert gave us was to look for the white eagle. Not sure what that means but sure it'll help. Hopefully, we'll find this Marie woman there and she can shed some extra light on my father and maybe help us find this Nathaniel guy and then it's up to me to become one of them and gain my way into the Neverworld."

"And you're definitely sure it has to be you to go through the portal?" Alice asked, concerned.

"Yes, I am afraid so Alice. To be honest, I'm scared to death and would love nothing more than anyone else, apart from you three, to go through this but I can't put that pressure on someone else. I started this quest, and it's mine alone to complete."

"You won't be alone Alex, we'll be there till the bitter end no matter what. We all wish we could go through the portal as well but know it would be life threatening, we'll help as much as we can don't worry," Bobby replied, with a kind pat on my shoulder.

This made a darkness in my mind of being alone with no one there to comfort me, change into warmth and happiness and a knowing that I had friends there to support me in the time I needed.

It was something I'd never had before going on this adventure and it felt fresh, a new and slightly alien but I had to get used to it.

"Thanks guys," I choked, holding back tears.

The trip remained quiet for some time as we all contemplated on every aspect of this mission.

"Do you believe what Albert said about your father?" Bobby asked, suddenly.

"I don't know what to think and to be honest it doesn't change my emotions. I set out on this journey not knowing my father or anything about him and I'll be damned if I will let the fact that he's a supposed Follower affect what needs to be done on this mission."

"You're not even curious to whether you'll find him down there?"

"Well, obviously I am but who's saying he's even alive. It's been over 18 years since he went missing and no one has seen him since. For all we know he could have perished when the Never-ones were forced back into the Neverworld all those years ago. I will not dwell on it. Whatever happens, happens."