Chapter 10. The Knights of Alder

Cold, alone and scared, but not for myself, for my friends.

I had to be strong and help them just like they would help me or I hope they'd help me if the situation was switched.

Still knelt under the protruding rock wishing and hoping for a miracle to happen or at least someone with a backbone to help me but now wasn't the time to be selfish, thinking about myself.

I looked at the map, glancing at where Eleanor had written that message.

It made little sense. She didn't say not to go up the hill at all, she just said not to go all the way to the top. But why would we only go halfway? Was this another of her riddles I had to figure out?

I needed Bobby and Charlotte for this. My mind wasn't focused on trying to figure out another puzzle.

There was no point in going back down because it led to where we started and I wasn't about to turn my back on my friends. I couldn't go up because the same doom would await me, so what should I do?

I stared at the writing for what felt like a lifetime hoping something would pop out and give me the answer but that would be too easy.

I think Eleanor wants to tell whoever picked up this map that there is something about this hill that only she knows but what is it.

I gazed longingly at the note she had written.

- DO NOT CLIMB ALL THE WAY UP ALDERS HILL, TERROR AWAITS YOU AT THE TOP -

As I read, I noticed something which didn't occur before, certain words seemed more faded than others as though the pen was running out. Was this a clue?

The faded words seemed to be CLIMB THE ALDERS TOP, but I didn't have a clue what or where Alders Top was.

I couldn't sit here any longer, instead I trekked further around the vast hill pondering about the message wishing the hill would tell me something of vital importance.

Looking up, I could see barbed wire surrounding the facility as far as the eye could see. This place really was off limits but why, surely the patients here can't be that crazy.

I neared a bend in the hill and the answer of how to get into this fortress hit me like a ton of bricks knocking me for two.

Just ahead of me on the surface of a large rock, similar to the one I'd been cowering under, someone had etched the words ALDER STOP in bold letters.

It wasn't Alders Top; it was Alder Stop.

Did Eleanor write this bamboozling message as a way of helping to find her or was this placed here recently, perhaps by someone leading me to a trap? Either way, I had to venture further and find out the secrets.

Below the message was a large hole big enough to squeeze through. What lurked ahead, bewildered and scared me.

Not sure what I was doing or where this would lead I ventured forth and squeezed through the gap. I must be very crazy or persistent.

Wriggling slowly like a worm into the beyond I fell on the dark below.

The air felt warmer here and I could feel a draft blowing hot air ahead begging me to explore the unknown.

It must be taking me into the depths of the facility, below any dangers or at least I hoped.

A dim light emanating ahead and metal clanking could be heard, guiding me through the dark.

Brighter and brighter it shone.

Louder and louder it clanked.

I pushed through what felt like a gap much smaller than myself and I was thin so this wasn't easy.