Chapter 14. Solace of Silence

The shaking stopped and the house, dilapidated or not was still standing.

I pop my head into the once shaking room from where I stood, expecting to see 20 Followers waiting for us but there was nothing. Instead, in the centre of the room where the newspapers had been collecting dust was a flight of steps going down into the ground.

"You guys see that or am I going crazier?" I asked.

The group slowly come out from hiding.

"What the....?" Bobby speaks, looking puzzled.

"Where are you going?" Charlotte asks, pulling me back as I go to move towards the stairs.

"I think you misunderstand the seriousness of why we are here," I reply.

"And I think you misunderstand that a flight of stairs has just appeared out of nowhere. You're not even a bit concerned that it could still be a trap."

"A trap, seriously? Come on, let's go down the stairs and see what happens. We've been in worse situations I'm sure."

"Alex is right. What's the worst that could happen?" Alice interrupts.

Charlotte and Bobby agree with us as I lead the way towards the opening in the ground.

The metallic steps seemed to go deep into the ground. They appear to wind down and down.

"Do you honestly think Peter is down here?" Bobby asks.

"That's exactly what I think. Call me optimistic but I believe he's living down here. I mean he must be hiding from the same people we've been fighting. He must have left the clues for a reason though."

Eventually we came to a large iron door.

"Oh great, as if we'll get through that. Bet we have to find more clues," Bobby moaned.

"Actually, the door is open," I say, pushing it easily.

"Ah right, silly me," Bobby blushes.

Just then a loud whirring noise could be heard behind us and as quick as it opened the quicker it closed and we were trapped under the ground.

"ONLY ONE WAY OUT. MOVE FORWARD AND COMPLETE THE TASKS," spoke a computer voice.

"Well, you heard it. We move forward and see what awaits," I speak as the others cowered, ambling towards the open door.

I'd heard and seen so much in the last week or so that nothing shocked me anymore, not even a computer voice.

The door immediately slammed behind locking us in a white room with only 4 walls and nothing else.

"YOU WERE SMART ENOUGH TO FIND THE CLUES TO GET YOU HERE BUT ARE YOU SMART ENOUGH TO COMPLETE THE TASKS SET BEFORE YOU?" spoke the computer voice again.

Three of the walls turned black while the far wall remained white then arose revealing a short walkway to what I'm assuming was our first task.

Confidently I led the way followed by Alice who seemed as persistent as I was then Charlotte and Bobby trotting behind.

"WAIT!" I shout loudly as the short walkway led into a similar room with one difference, it had no floor, just a deep drop.

"AS YOU CAN SEE THIS ROOM HAS A DROP THAT COULD BE VERY FATAL IF YOU FELL. YOUR TASK IS TO GET TO THE OTHER SIDE USING ONLY HELP FROM THE WALLS. THIS TASK REQUIRES AGILITY AND PATIENCE AND I DON'T EXPECT YOU TO SUCCEED."

"Are you kidding me?" Bobby moaned from the back, "Is this guy absolutely bonkers? Who would do such a thing?"

"He can't be serious," Charlotte complained.