V. BIRTHDAY OF EIGHT

(BIRTHDAY OF EIGHT)

"Do me a favor, and don't be a hormonal teen

"Do me a favor, and don't be a hormonal teen."

A year.

IT'S BEEN almost a whole year that Elaine's parents never visited her. Or so she thought, when she learned that her parents passed away. She broke down. She cried until she couldn't anymore, she felt suffocated. She isolated herself, and when it was time to train her powers. She wouldn't come out. When she found out, she fell into Grace's arms. She just couldn't handle the pain.

She relied on Grace, and the robot mother treated her as her own daughter. But after a while, she finally accepted her parent's death. She moved on. She didn't know how, but she just did. She knew her parents wanted her to be that happy little girl again. But she didn't know how.

So, it's been almost a whole year, and today is the day all of the eight kids turn twelve. That means, they get to go their first mission, and be shown to the world one day. And when it's your birthday, you usually wake up early. Or not. But either way Elaine was awake with Klaus on her bed reading a magazine and Ben on the floor while Elaine was putting hair ties and making tiny ponytails on his head. Vanya was also in the room, Ben and Klaus were the only ones, aside from five, who truly noticed her.

Vanya was reading a book that Ben lent to her, she looked up at Elaine and smiled. Ben was wincing "Ow, don't pull too hard. It hurts!"

Elaine grinned "Well, sometimes beauty is pain, and we need to make you extra special for today. On another note, I already have all of your gifts!"

"...y-you got us gifts?"

"Yeah why wouldn't I?"

It got quiet, the Hargreeves siblings all looked at each other before Ben cleared his throat "It's just uh, we don't get gifts. We just celebrate with cake and a birthday song and that's it. We aren't allowed to give each other gifts too..."

Elaine shrugged and smiled before continuing to do Ben's hair. "Oh, well it doesn't matter, even if you didn't get me a gift or not. Just being friends with you guys it's enough."

And just like that, they continued doing whatever they were doing in the first place. "Okay done!" Elaine smiled and gave the mirror to Ben. He saw himself and sighed, he looked down and seemed to disappointed. Which only made Elaine burst out laughing.

"Do me next!" Klaus day down next to Ben in front of Elaine. Elaine nodded and sat on her bed. Her whole room was decorated already, with fairy lights hanging all around her room, a light orange type of color painted on her walls, shelves full of books, posters hanging, her desk a mess with notebooks, writing supplies, some magazines from the academy, her bed had a black and white blanket. It was everything beautiful that you can think of, yet it was simple. Not too many things.