IX. THE MISSING NUMBER RETURNS

(THE MISSING NUMBER RETURNS)

"Welcome home"

"HOW DO you think he's handling the whole thing?" Diego muttered. The tan male leaning on his side on the wall. Staring out the window that was covered in little droplets of rain. Playing around with one of his knives, skillfully through his fingers. They were currently in Elaine's childhood room, Elaine sitting on her bed, her knees up and her arms resting on each one, her hands linked together. No response from her, Diego stopped the knife and turned his head to her, his eyebrows furrowed in worry. "Red?"

That seemed to snap her out of her train of thought "Hm?" She hummed and looked up at him. "I'm sorry w—what did you say? I—I was distracted..."she flashed him a quick smile. She cleared her throat and looked back down at her hands. Diego hesitated, he wasn't one to show much of his soft side, really only showing it to Grace. He took some steps towards her, but then sat down next to her on her bed. It was quiet between them. Nothing but comfortable silence. In fact it was quiet through the whole house.

He put his knife away, he glanced down at her soft almost fragile hands. Though he did know that those "fragile" hands could punch anyone's lights out. He looked at his own very hand, he closed his eyes and reached over, grabbing her her own hand. She looked down at their intertwined hands and smiled a bit, linking and wrapping her fingers around his, she felt at peace. Maybe the stay wouldn't be so bad.

"To answer you're question I think Klaus will either mess up or just end up throwing a temper tantrum. Maybe both." She laughed a little, Diego only scoffed quietly and smiled. "You know, it's been a long time since someone has called me Red. Klaus calls me carrot top but Red...wow, such a throwback." She laughed a little. It was true, no one had really called her Red, she earned the nickname from Diego in the first place when they were kids, it had stuck with her until she left. She got the nickname Carrot Top by Klaus when they were teens, according to him it was super exclusive and only he could call her that.

"Yeah?" Diego rose a eyebrow, a small smirk on his face. She nodded and smiled herself, letting out a tiny laugh. "I know it feels weird being back here, and I might now show it. But I am glad you're back, even if he wasn't your father. You still took the time to come over even if you didn't have to. I—We really appreciate it."

She hummed, the only sound of the rain drops hitting the window on the cloudy day. Very fitting. "Of course I would come to the funeral, it gives me a chance to see you all. I'm surprised you even came, considering your deep hatred for him." Diego leaned his head back onto the wall and sighed.

"I felt the need to come, but I'm happy that I did now...I got to see you again." He smiled, Elaine felt her face heat up slightly. She cleared her throat and laughed dryly. She turned her head to him and smiled.