XXIII. ONE STEP CLOSER

( ONE STEP CLOSER )

"Allison..."

SHE. WAS. HERE

Grace was here, she was right in front of Elaine. Stitching and fixing Five up. She couldn't believe it. Mom was up and running again. She was helping Five, and honestly she was helping Elaine think that the world wasn't going to be total shit at the end.

Oh my god.

What if the apocalypse does happen. That means no more Grace. No more Pogo— she was interrupted in her thoughts when she heard and felt Allison shuffling closer to her and Diego.  "Anything?" Diego mumbled. Allison leaned against the doorframe, crossing her arms.

"There's no answer at Vanya's place." Allison began before leaning a bit closer. "And the receptionist at her music school, said she was a no-show for her lessons today."

"You don't think..." Elaine trailed off, looking at Allison with concern. Allison quickly stopped her, mumbling a no, and placing a reassuring hand on her elbow. Diego just nodded and looked down, beginning to walk out. Until Allison and Elaine turned around to stop them.

"Hey, you okay?" Allison asked. Furrowing her eyebrows. Diego looked at her, no expression. His eyes flickering to Elaine as she crossed her arms. She sort of..knew how she was feeling.

"Yeah." He said, his eyes flickering to Grace. He hesitated a bit. Elaine leaned forward. Holding his free hand. He sighed. "I don't know, it's just surreal seeing her." He nodded over at Grace. Both Elaine and Allison looked back. Grace was just so kind, so beautiful...it really was somewhat surreal seeing her walking around. But her and Diego's reasons why were not in the slightest similar. "I just wanna tell her that I'm s..." Diego stopped himself. Causing Allison to look back at him. All while Elaine still stared at Grace. "We don't have enough time. We gotta to." Diego began to walk out. This time, Elaine finally looked over at him. Allison, fortunately, stopped him by grabbing his arm.

"I don't know, Diego." She whispered. And looked over at the unconscious Five. "Five is laying there, unconscious. We need him." She looked back at Diego once more.

"Allison's right. We cannot just do this without him." Elaine sighed. Diego stared at her for a moment before opening his mouth.

"We can do this ourselves."

"We did that already, remember?" Allison replied. "We all ended up dead."

"And the rest, were practically probably burnt to crisps." Elaine spoke up. Diego closed his eyes, his jaw tightening.

"I don't know. I'm just...I'm thinking I should go back and see Claire before—" Allison started again. But then Diego interrupted.