XIV. VANYA'S BOOK

( VANYA'S BOOK)

"Are you being serious?"

FIVE YEARS AGO

'My name is Vanya Hargreeves, and this is my story.'

Elaine read Vanya's book, she was perched on the couch, her then boyfriend Aaron had his arm wrapped around her, him watching Tv while she read her sister's book. A pot of coffee in front of them with two cups. Her hair loose, wearing teal sweatpants and a blue hoodie on her.

'We were never a real family.'

Elaine was looking over the words, her eyebrows furrowed. As Aaron laughed loudly at the TV.

'We were our father's creation, or mentor, family in name...but not in fact.'

She grabbed her almost empty cup, drinking some of it.

'In the end after our brother Ben had died.' Right when Elaine was putting her empty cup back on the table, when she read the last part the cup almost slipped from her hands but Aaron quickly caught it and placed it on the table. Elaine smiled at him gratefully and continued to read Vanya's book.

'There was really nothing connecting us. We were just strangers living under the same roof...'

Elaine sighed.

'Destined to be alone...'

'...Starved for attention...'

'...damaged by our upbringing...'

She reached for the coffee pot, held onto the handle, ready to pour herself more coffee.

'...wanting to feel the love and safety of the arms of real family...'

Elaine widened her eyes, not realizing that she was pouring the coffee on the floor.

"Babe!" Aaron exclaimed, Elaine blinked multiple times before continuing the book.

'...and haunted by what might have been.'

She sighed, rubbing her forehead. This book was just a big 'fuck you' to all of them. Wasn't it?

'We all wanted to be loved by a man incapable of giving love.'