IX

Colonel & Sergeant of 54th

Josettes POV

Judgement, that's what most people are afraid of. Being judged, everyone is always judged on every little meaningless thing they do. That is what was happening right now, and I hated it.

As Robert and I walked down the stairs every eye was on me. With men and women saying, "Is that is wife?", and "She's a soldier?" In hushed whispers.

The clapping stopped as we both reached the bottom of the stairs. Robert looked around giving everyone a charming smile.

"See you did great." Robert reassured me.

"Easy for you to say." I responded in a whisper. I looked around and saw a group of young women looking at me and whispering, me being me I definitely wanted to say something, but I just bit my tongue.

"I need some fresh air." I said with a sigh walking out the front door. As I walked myself out the group of women gathered around Robert asking him questions.

I leaned against the fence looking at the bright sun and blue sky, this was nice. I would rather be alone than in there with a bunch of people I don't know.

In this moment I was thinking about my family, my first family. I don't talk about my dad, ever. Him and I were close, but he had always been so hard on me. He taught me how to survive, like hunt, and shoot.

I guess I was the son he never had. He would punish me, but not my sister. My punishment would be 10 hits with a whip. It hurt like hell, I have scars on my back but in my opinion they aren't bad.

I took a deep breath of the somewhat chilly Boston air listening to the birds chirp.

Roberts POV

After Josette had left outside I was called to my fathers office. I entered his office with my mother behind me. There was around 10 people or so inside.

"Ah! My son! Robert!" My father said with joy. A man I recognized turned to face me, he was Governor Andrew. I met him a few times

"It's very good to see you again Robert." The Governor said shaking my hand.

"Likewise Governor Andrew."

"Robert, I would like you to meet Fredrick Douglas." My father said and Fredrick turned around facing me.

We both looked at each other for a moment. "It's a honor sir." I said with a nod, which he returned.

"What is it you would like to talk about?" I questioned

Fredrick took a step forward and spoke. "The Governor is proposing to raise a regiment of colored soldiers."

"I've submitted your name to be commissioned colonel of the 54th Massachusetts Infantry ." The Governor added.

My mother put her hand on my shoulder. "Oh just think about it Robert. A group of colored soldiers." She said trying to encourage me.

"Yes that is a great idea, thank you for giving me this opportunity...excuse me." I walked out of the office to go outside.

Josette passed by me, our eyes locked for only a moment. As I was outside Cabot and I talked. I made him a major, he would be coming along with me. Cabot and I had a conversation with
Thomas, he was a free man like his father before him, Thomas volunteered for 54th Massachusetts. I couldn't be more proud.

Josette POV

I had been called to Mr. Shaw's office moments after Robert had left. Did I do anything wrong? No I couldn't have, at least I don't think.

I opened the door to see Mr. Shaw standing in front of his desk with 10 or so other people in the room all looking at me with intrigued expressions.

"Mr. Shaw, what can I help you with?" I asked slowly making my way towards him.

"Ms. Mikaelson I have a proposition for you. You see Mr. Douglas, Governor Andrew and I have just made Robert Colonel of the first all black regiment in the north." Mr. Shaw finished

A smile grew on my face and my eyes lit up. "Wow that's magnificent, all black regiment of soldiers. What the proposition Mr. Shaw?"

Mr. Shaw cleared his throat and spoke. "I have been thinking and a woman with your talents can be very useful in the army."

"I beg your pardon?" I wanted to be a soldier but I didn't think they would actually consider sending me off to fight.

"You are a smart woman Ms. Mikaelson. Quick on your feet, you know how to get things done well and in a timely matter and your resourceful."

"All of these things are something we look for in the army." I eyed them suspiciously

I looked between Mr. Shaw and Governor Andrew. "What exactly are you asking me?"

"What they are asking you my dear, is if you would accompany the 54th and serve as first Sergeant." Fredrick Douglas spoke.

"I am also asking you to be Colonel Shaw's personal aid." The Governor added.

I thought about it for a moment. My dream was coming true. I was going out to fight. I was gonna make a change.

"So What is your answer?" There was silence. I glanced around the room with a smirk on my face.

"My answer is yes."