XVI

Pressure

Josette stayed there looking back at her reflection, she didn't know how long she was doing it, just mindlessly staring back at the somewhat smudged and already fading mirror, doing what she does best, which was getting lost in thought

Josette stayed there looking back at her reflection, she didn't know how long she was doing it, just mindlessly staring back at the somewhat smudged and already fading mirror, doing what she does best, which was getting lost in thought. Getting lost in thought wasn't good, especially around here.

Yet she couldn't help but wonder how her family was doing, not Roberts family that took her in a year ago, but her actual family, the one that she deserted and probably left for dead. The last she wrote to them was the first time she met Robert so it had been a while. They rarely wrote back but it felt good hearing from them, she just hoped they didn't hate her.

She missed her younger brother the most, her sweet and adorable Ted, always making her smile, making her feel wanted, all her life shes sort of been the black sheep of the family, her father wasn't the nicest man in the world, he had always been more hard on Josette than her other sister, he'd hoped for a son, but he got another daughter.

But his intentions were somewhat good, if it weren't for him she probably wouldn't be here right now, he was the one who taught her how to shoot a gun and fight to protect herself, but with all that training came punishments, which was very common in this date and time so she wasn't special.

"Day dreaming I see." Cabot said as he peeked his head through the tent, a small smile on his face, trying to contain a laugh as he startled the girl. "Lost in thought is how I like to put it." she answered with a friendly chuckle. "Taking a tiny break...to clear my mind." she added turning around to face the man that was standing at the entrance, holding the sheet of the tent up with one hand.

"Well whats on your mind sergeant?" He asked honestly intrigued, he was her friend, but knew nothing about her. "Family, I miss them. Surely you miss yours too." Cabot thought that she had no family, since the Shaw's took her in and all that. "You never speak about your family, I honestly thought you were an orphan..."

Shaking her head it took her a while to respond, trying to find the right words to come out of her mouth. "Ran away a year ago from insane men in Salem who actually thought i was a witch. Took my brother with me but they took him away from me. Got lost in the woods and Thomas found me wondering around. Sarah took me in, now I'm here. I write letters to them but they never write back. Serves me right since I tried to abandon them."

Cabot stayed silent not really knowing what to say to the woman. "I really hope they're doing alright. Don't worry, you'll see them again." He reassured giving a heart warming smile. A playful glare rested on his face "You aren't a witch though right?" He asked jokingly, rolling her eyes she walked towards the exit slapping him on the shoulder gently. "Don't be stupid. If I were you'd be the fist I'd come after. Maybe turn you into a frog."

Following after her, he walked out from the tent hearing the material of their boots crunch on the dirt beneath them. The two turning the corner of another tent, but being brought to an immediate halt almost bumping into Robert. Straightening their posture on sight.