XIV

In Accordance to Lincoln

Josette was watching sergeant Mulcahy train the soldier, all of them beginners but had potential, the white men make fun of Robert along with Josette saying that there will never be black Soldiers, with enough training they can show them that ther...

Josette was watching sergeant Mulcahy train the soldier, all of them beginners but had potential, the white men make fun of Robert along with Josette saying that there will never be black Soldiers, with enough training they can show them that there is such thing. Josette had hope for each and every one of them.

Robert and Forbes were beside her examining The drill Sergeant as well. "You dirty African whores!!!" He yelled right into the man's ear as they all stopped marching.

One of the men looked at Josette. The girl gave him a small sympathetic smile, she could see the fear in his eyes but also the determination.

Robert looked down at Josette examining her worried expression. "Don't worry Josette he's gonna be fine it's part of training." Josette looked up at him. "I know your father was my drill sergeant." she informed.

Mulcahy started staring at one of the men, straight into his soul. The man he was starring down was Jupiter. "For God's sake boy do you not know your right from your left?!"

At this point Jupiter was terrified. "N-no sir."

Mulcahy rolled his eyes. His hand pushed into his chest in a swift motion. "This is your front!" His hand made contact with Jupiter's back. "This is your rear!" The man's foot stomped on Jupiter's right foot. "This is your right!"

Before Mulcahy could stomp on Jupiter's left foot he quickly picked it up. Mulcahy's black boots make contact with the mud. "Ah...now your learning boy." Mulcahy said with a nod of approval.

Jupiter looked over at Josette. She gave a faint smile, she knew he was scared, who would blame him, Mulcahy is very intimidating.

All the camp could hear was Mulcahy yelling like his life depended on it. He Irish accent was heard by all officers and soldiers.

Josette looked down at the men's feet as they were marching. She noticed some didn't have shoes, and if some did they were in terrible condition

"Robert?" she said her eyes still on the boys training.

"Hmm?" He hummed in a response

"When are the new supplies of shoes going to arrive?" She asked turning to him.

Robert thought for a moment he had asked for new shoes weeks ago they should've been here by now "Cabot, any news with the quartermaster on the shoes?" Robert asked Major Forbes.

The man rubbed his hands together in an attempt to keep himself warm in this cold. Forbes shook his head. "Not a single word."

Robert was disappointed. How could these men train properly when they don't have proper shoes? Robert thought to himself.

"Poor things. Their feet must be all blistered up, especially with this weather." Josette gave a small frown, Robert looked down at her. "I'll look into it. Don't worry." The man reassured her.