XI

Readville Camp

For now on I will be only writing in third person POV🤫🤷‍♀️

[2 days later]

The 54th Massachusetts had 1,100 black men that volunteered. All hoping for the same thing. One of the first regiments of black soldiers. They were on their way for their first day at camp.

It was a rainy and cloudy day that day, thunder was heard in the distance, the sun could not be seen in the sky. It smelt of November air. The soldiers felt small raindrops hit their tired bodies as they march together making their way to the camp.

Most of the men didn't have shoes to protect their feet from the mud on the ground.

Robert was riding along side of Major Cabot Forbes and Josette on his brown horse, the sound of the horseshoes hitting the mud was repeated rhythmically.

Thomas was walking along with a book in his hand reading. "I-Is that a good book?" One man asked with a stutter.

"Why yes it is actually."

"D-does it have p-pictures?" He asked leaning over Thomas's tall figure to take a peek.

Thomas chuckled. "No I'm afraid it doesn't."

"C-Can you teach me?" The smaller man asked looking at him.

"I would be happy to. My name is Thomas by the way. What is your name?"

"J-Jupiter."

Josette smiled as she heard overheard the conversation taking place behind her. It gave her happiness that they were making friends.

Josette had her eyes focused straight ahead while riding her white horse, the girl was in the front leading the march in the middle of Robert and Cabot. She stood out as she was obviously the only girl.

Both Josette and Cabot were immediately identified as Sergeants due to their uniform, it was different than the average uniforms. Theirs had stripes on them, the only difference was that Cabot was Sergeant Major.

Josettes navy blue uniform was a perfect fit. It wasn't too loose but not too tight, it was just right. Her black boots however were a problem, a bit too tight for her feet but she couldn't complain when some men didn't have shoes at all.

The group of men along with Josette began to march through a group of white soldiers who looked to be resting.

"Hey look they brought niggers! I would've rather brought my hog!" One man yelled. "Yeah at least you can actually eat the hog!" Another man added with the rest laughing.

Josette rolled her eyes. She hated that word, right now all she wanted to do was kick them around.

Robert and Cabot looked annoyed with the white soldiers remarks but kept their comments to themselves. Cabot opened his mouth to say something but Robert shook his head.

"They brought a whore as well!" Some man shouted. "When you men are done with her I'll be happy to have her tonight!"

Cabot looked at them with a glare. "Alright cut it out this instant!" Cabot shouted at them. "Dirty animals." He mumbled under his breath.

"Excuse me ma'am I don't mean to be rude but aren't women not supposed to be here?" A older man in his mid fifties asked Josette.

She let out a chuckle. "I just want to fight with you fine men, for what I believe in. What's your name sir?"

"Rawlins, John Rawlins." He said with a nod.

"Your very brave ma'am." John added

"As are you." Josette said with a smile.

After a while the 54th had arrived at Readville Camp in Massachusetts. They began to set up camp getting themselves situated.

Each tent that was placed outside would be occupied by five or six soldiers. They had set up camp at a abandoned factory, so the kitchen and such would be indoors.

The white tents were surrounding a fairly big camp fire. Some men gathered around it and started singing.

Josette observed from a distance with a smile on her face watching them come together, from the looks of it no one would think that this was a soldier camp.

Robert had been observing Josette with a smile. Watching her enjoy the sight.

They hadn't spoken a word about what happened two nights ago. He had been avoiding her but whenever they had a conversation he would be rude on purpose. To make it seem like he wasn't keen with her.

Josette turned around only to see Robert looking at her a couple feet away. Her smile faded and she turned back around to watch the men around the campfire.