XXI

His Story

This afternoon was very exiting for Josette, she was finally going to get the men some shoes and that made her beyond happy, she knew they would be joyful about this too

This afternoon was very exiting for Josette, she was finally going to get the men some shoes and that made her beyond happy, she knew they would be joyful about this too. Finally that no good Kendrick would have to answer to Robert who was just as angry as her, although he tried desperately to calm himself.

John and Josette, including five other men traveled with Robert to go meet the quartermaster in his building within the camp, as they were walking Josette kept her hands behind her back, at this moment she had a lot of energy and had to contain it.

She was fidgeting with her fingers and occasionally would kick her boots in the sand as she walked. Robert clearly saw her anticipation, while he thought it was a bit funny and cut, he quietly told her to calm down. Like always she apologized and tried her hardest not to do it again.

"You men stay outside and guard the door, Sergeant Mikaelson and I will only be a moment." Robert ordered as he walked in, allowing Josette to walk in first, closing the door behind him for his men to watch. John stayed in the middle, not saying a word knowing Robert would do anything to make sure they had what the men needed.

"Good afternoon, Colonel." Kendrick greeted while sitting on his desk, the only source of real light came from the lamp that rested on top of the wooden material of his workplace, papers scatters everywhere, even hung up on the wall next to him. The two approached the man, Robert giving him a fake smile.

"You change your mind about that bottle I was talking about?" He asked gesturing to the bottle right in front of him. The man didn't even acknowledge Josette's presence. Instead of creating small talk and trying to be nice, Robert got straight to the point without a second thought "I want 600 pair of shoes and 1200 pair of socks, and anything else you've been holding out on us." His tone was stern and loud without really raising his voice, he seemed sure if himself.

"Piece of rat filth." Robert insulted as he walked over and around the counter that separated the two, approaching his desk looking down at him, Kendrick staying siting down, not a care in the world. "I'd love to help you. But we just don't have any."

"...not for niggers you don't." That was the cold truth, it was obvious they were doing it on purpose, giving the white soldiers more and leaving the black soldiers with absolutely nothing. "Not for any body." He responded making Josette roll her eyes "pity. I'll just have a look around, see that you haven't misplaced them." She said walking around the counter and to the shelves of supplies, knocking down cans and buckets.

A worried expression appeared on Kendricks face as Robert joined as well, knocking over cans that were on the counter "son of a bitch!" Robert said with anger, tons of commotion was made, luckily the men were outside guarding, there was no doubt they were making a lot of noise. "Damn it! You can't—"

"Can't I?" He asked as he approached the now frightened man yet again "I'm a colonel, nasty little cuss. You really think you can keep Union Soldiers without proper shoes because you think it's funny?" Kendrick leaned back in his chair in some sort of attempt to keep himself away from him, his eyes wide and frightened, "now where would that power come from?"