XIX

Quarter Master

Today was Christmas morning, a very special holiday that Josette loved, although she's never spent Christmas alone like this, last year was with Roberts parents but now she really had no one

Today was Christmas morning, a very special holiday that Josette loved, although she's never spent Christmas alone like this, last year was with Roberts parents but now she really had no one. She missed her family a great deal and still nothing back from the letters she's sent them which did worry her quite a bit.

Her family wasn't the most stable but it was still a family, her mother was neglectful to all her children, but in a strange way she missed her mothers sour faces on Christmas morning.

Sure her father was hard on her but he cared for her more than her mother, they had lots of things in common, well of course they did, she was his daughter, but she was closer to him than her sister. He would occasionally leave home to fight the wars like the old folks did in the revolution, he was a Colonel just like Robert, she hoped her father had gotten ranked higher in her absence.

Now her mood had completely changed, just thinking about her family made her feel home sick in an instant and made her whole day a little less bright. Once she thought about them they were stuck in the back of her mind for the rest of the day.

"Merry Christmas." A voice said making her turn around, Robert stood there peeking his head through the tent, a happy smile on his face. "Merry Christmas, Robert." She returned the smile just as happily, now fully inside her tent he gave her a quick kiss on the lips before reaching into the pocket of his coat.

"My mother and father wrote to you for the holidays." He informed giving her a letter that was folded into an envelope that hadn't been opened yet. Sarah wrote her a letter and her mother didn't, this just blew her mind, or maybe she was overthinking everything, maybe her family was really busy.

With a small laugh she took it and rested it neatly on her pillow for her to read later, "Guess I'm really part of the family now." She joked, from what his parents told him they seemed to care a lot for the girl, so there was no doubt she was already part of the family in many ways.

"My parents take a strong liking towards you, you know? You are going to become a great part of this family sooner or later." Robert explained but then soon regretted saying the last part, implying in her actually becoming family as in marriage.

Josette picked up on that and gave an awkward nod and a small smile, in this day and age it was very common for people to get married quickly, if you and your partner were together but weren't married or engaged it was highly looked down upon. That was something Josette nor Robert could really understand.

"I didn't mean it like that...I don't want to marry you..." Robert apologized as he saw that he made the girl a bit uncomfortable, he really wasn't thinking about marriage at all, they met months ago, but it was a lovely 'what if' that he played in his mind. It wasn't that she was uncomfortable by any means, she was just surprised and didn't really know how to respond to that.