XVII

High Horse

"Don't be too hard on yourself Jupiter, I think you did just fine for your first time

"Don't be too hard on yourself Jupiter, I think you did just fine for your first time." She reassured in a soft voice, she knew if anyone caught her talking to the men she would be in trouble.

"...but you do have to understand that's just how it is. Robert is doing it to better of all of the men. He wants to help you. I want to help you. You do understand that right?" She questioned placing a hand on his shoulders hoping the encounter with Robert didn't scare him or change his mind about going off to battle.

Opening his mouth he began slowly "W-well believe me ma'am I do understand. I-I want to be better and I want to get better. F-for that to happen y'all must push us." He said with his stutter that almost came naturally to him. "B-but the Colonel d-does scare me quite a bit."

Josette let out a small laugh to him comment, her head gave a couple nods knowing how that felt. "Don't worry he scares me too. I think everyone's scared of him, but he truly is a kind man. He cares about all of you very deeply. All of you going off to war is something he's very passionate about."

"H-he scares y-you ma'am?" He questioned looking up at her, from what it looked like the 54th regiment thought she wasn't scared of anything, how could she be? She was going off to war after all. She tried so hard to put on a tough act and a lot of people really believed it, clearly Jupiter did.

"Of course he does. He's my Colonel. I remember when we first trained together. Yelling in my face constantly..." she recalled and then added with slight hesitation "...but it was coming from a right place. So I can be as good as he."

"I-I want to me as good as him too, and you and Cabot. G-go off to war and fight along side you would be a great honor. T-to fight for my black brothers and sisters." His whole face lit up at the thought of fighting for what's write.

"You see with that mind set you're already as good as us, think of how glorious it would be private, knowing that this is one more step towards change. We are making history that all children long after will read about. Who knows, they might even make a play." A smirk appeared on her face as she looked down at him.

"A-a play? That does sound glorious." Jupiter agreed with a vigorous nod of his head, the sun barley stating to come up, Josette and Jupiter were probably the only ones up, besides Robert and maybe Cabot. To her surprise she saw that Trip was up as well.

"Good morning Private Tripp." Josette greeted with a smile smile, but he payed no attention, just glancing at her and going about his morning, getting ready to eat breakfast.

"H-he's not really a-a people person." The small man before her stated. He really wasn't, he always found a way to pick on someone, anyone. No one really knew that much about him. "That's all right. He needs time that's all." At least that's what she hoped, if he continued to act like this it would become a problem, the 54th was supposed to be United.