XXII

Blue Suits

"Sir." Cabot called to Robert, handing him a paper, all the men were gathered outside, Sergeant Mulcahy and Mikaelson stood by each other in silence looking at the rows of men who stood completely still. "From the war department." Cabot added sing that Robert looked very confused.

Robert opened the envelope and took out the paper, unfolding it with care, his head tilted down as he read it in silence. Cabot looked down as well, reading it quickly, Mulcahy and Josette couldn't help but watch, very curious as to what exactly the letter said.

The man folded the letter back to how it once came and let out a sigh in defeat looking at Cabot for a split second. "Can anything be done?" Cabot asked. Robert put the folded letter on top of the envelope, handing it back to his friend "they've got families..."

"I know..." Cabot said very quietly, some type of sadness taking over his voice, trying to carry on Robert let out another sight "We'll protest this through channels later on." Robert promised the Major, giving him a pat on the back before walking to Josette who was just three feet away "attention battalion." Robert said to her as he walked past "yes sir."

As Josette made her way to the men, Robert walked up a few steps to a stage like area that let him have a very clear view of every man. "Attention, battalion!" The girl shouted with a clear and stern voice, hearing that, the men immediately stood at attention, fixing their rifles.

"You men enlisted in this regiment on the understanding that you would be paid the regular army wage of $13 a month. This morning I have been notified, that since you are a colored regiment, you will be paid $10 a month." Robert informed painfully.

After hearing that, all their smiles seemed to deal at the same time, even Jupiter's. He had been so happy to get paid just as much as the white folks but that all crashed down on him, it crashed down on all the men like a slap in the face. "That ain't fair." Some of them mumbled to each other.

"Regiment, fall out by company to receive pay." Robert ordered looked straight ahead, his demeanor was professional, well he tried to be, even though he knew this wasn't fair. All the men did as told, falling out as soon as those words left his mouth.

Jupiter went to walk up, but Trip stopped him quickly "where you going, boy?" He questioned looking at Jupiter with a puzzled expression. "T-to get paid. Ten dollar a lot of money." And without another word he proceeded to walk away, then John did the same, Trip followed him before he could get to far. "Hey, pop, you fitting to lay down for this too?"

They shared eyes contact for quite a while until the old man walked away as well. They all scattered to the tables to receive pay, going to collect their checks even though they just got three dollars cut out just because their skin color, but money was money, some of them had families who needed it.