Chapter Twenty-Three: Live While We're Young

Hope you enjoy this! Sorry for not updating; the only reason is laziness! This storry is approaching the quarter of a million reads mark on FF.net and I'm surprised and amazed! x

Enjoy!

__________________________________________________________

 “Remember to be polite,” Hermione reminded the twins before they reached the Manor’s front door.

Draco rang the doorbell and waited for an answer, within seconds the door was opened by Lady Malfoy herself.

She looked the same. Same beautiful platinum blonde hair, same clear blue eyes, same delicate features. The only difference was that she looked truly happy now that she was free of Lucius and Voldemort.

“Draco!” Narcissa exclaimed, throwing her arms around her son and kissing his cheek.

“I can’t breathe Mother,” Draco said breathlessly.

“Sorry dear,” Narcissa replied. “And this must be Hermione,” she gave Hermione a hug.

It felt weird to be hugged by Narcissa Malfoy, to say the least. After being looked down at by her since she was eleven, it was unusual to be liked by her.

“And this must be Lea and Jake! Come give Gamma a hug,” Narcissa said warmly as the kids smothered her with hugs. Draco had given her a heads up on the name.

“Come in, Come in!” Narcissa said the moment she had finished hugging the twins.

They made their way to a quaint sitting room that was decorated in warm browns and sky blues. Hermione had expected it to be decorated in silvers and greens due to the families Slytherin heritage.

“Not what you expected it to be?” Narcissa smirked.

Hermione blushed lightly; the woman had basically read her mind! Hermione and Draco sat down on separate armchairs, while the kids sat on the loveseat. Narcissa sat on the armchair on the other side of the chocolate coloured coffee table.

“How are you? Has Hogwarts been doing you well?” Narcissa asked her son curiously.

“Fine on both questions,” Draco answered, it appeared he didn’t want to speak much.

“How about you, Hermione?” Narcissa asked politely.

“I’m fine thank you, Hogwarts is as amazing as usual,” Hermione answered.

“Ah, I remember my days at Hogwarts, I was a Slytherin, of course, being a Black, and I somehow managed to graduate in the top ten in my class. I married Lucius that year too.” Narcissa said thoughtfully.

“Please do not talk about that bastard while my family is in the room,” Draco said darkly.

“Draco! You shouldn’t say such words in front of young children!” Narcissa exclaimed, shocked. 

“I’m sorry, but that’s the only way to describe that monster,” Draco replied, not sounding sorry at all.

Hermione sensed that the subject of Draco’s dead, Death Eater father was a sore subject with the mother and son.

“Why don’t you guys go to the library, you can use your electronics there,” Hermione told the twins.

Realising the tension in the room, they left quickly. Hermione wondered for a moment if they would get lost.

“I don’t understand how you could still talk about him so...happily, after everything he’s done,” Draco said angrily.

“Lucius did some very bad things, things that I could never forgive him for. But still, I was married to him for almost twenty years, and he gave me the best gift he ever could; You,” Narcissa said quietly.