22:Block

He sounded amazed. She flushed. Did she sound childish to him?

"Uhhh, like a lollipop."

She should just shut up.

"Lolli...pop."

He choked, coughing violently under his mask. He turned away from her to cough into his hand, his shoulders heaving as he tried to expel the liquid from his lungs. Amber gasped, her eyes widening in shock and she moved automatically to rub his back in soothing circles.

"I'm fine." He tried to wave her off only to cough again. "I choked on the milk." He wheezed and when he finally got it out of the wrong pipe, he heaved a huge sigh. "Fuck, I must look really stupid."

"No, no, not at all." Amber shook her head quickly. She tried to think of words to say that would make him feel better. "Relax," she shrugged, "I choke on my saliva all the time. It's my hobby."

Wait for a second, what did she just say? She blinked, inhaling sharply. Saliva choking. A HOBBY? She mentally bashed her head against a wall. She should just sew her mouth shut.

"Hobby?" He snorted.

"Um...talent?"

Fuck! She should just shut up now! She snapped her lips together tightly.

"Talent?" He was chuckling at this point, shoulders shaking from his mirth.

"Oh my God!" Amber groaned, slapping a palm to her forehead. God help her. "Forget what I just said. Just let me die in a ditch right now." What the shit was she saying?

"Don't die," there was a tenderness to his voice, a sweetness that made her brows furrow. "You're way too cute to deprive someone of his soulmate."

His words sent a mixture of feelings swirling in her chest. Feelings that she didn't have time to pinpoint and dissect because he was stammering and blushing furiously at the very next second.

"S-Sorry that was out of line from me. You must have a soulmate—"

"I don't."

"What?" He stopped mid-step, turning to look at her. She watched as he swallowed and shook his head. "Oh. You're waiting too."

Amber didn't know why his replies were growing heavy with his disappointment. Something within her snapped and she jogged up to face him, her heart pushing her to explain her situation.

"I'm not twenty yet," Amber told him quickly. "I'm still young, single and free."

"Oh!"

It was comical. The way that word had escaped his lips melodically, the note rising at the end. Amber exhaled, her lips spreading into a wider grin. Hold on a second...She observed him carefully as realisation dawned on her.

"You think it's me, don't you? Bad-fashion-uncle."

Amber teased, her voice dipping into a low drawl. She tried to appear aloof but inside she was soaring, her heart racing in her chest. Orange guy stiffened and laughed, trying to act as if he didn't know what she was talking about.

"Uh," he let out a couple of barks of laughter. "Wait, what?" He gasped. "Bad fashion? Excuse me!" He rapidly tried to change the topic, frantically attempting to dispel her suspicions.

"Don't change the topic," Amber continued to tease him, her grin growing wider and wider.

"How dare you call me an uncle, I'm only twenty-five!"

"Oh damn, I thought you were twenty-three," Amber continued to tease. "Oh sorry, grandpa."

"Hey!"

"Fine," Amber giggled, beaming up at him. They reached the lift lobby and she stopped. "I'll let you off. Thanks for the drink and the jacket, mister." Amber slipped the silky thing off her shoulders, only for him to put it back over her skin.

"Keep it."

"Excuse me?"

"Give it to me when we meet again."

"You sound very sure we will meet again." Amber raised a brow. Sure he smelled good but was he serious about them being soulmates? She scrutinized him. If only he would just take off that mask, those glasses and his bucket hat...

"I have five years of experience, kid," he shrugged. "Besides, you look good in my clothes, you can keep it."

"Maybe...Even better?" Amber teased.

"Wait," he gave her a look. "Is that a jab at my fashion sense again?"

He faked annoyance, folding his hands and tapping his foot comically. Amber burst into peals of laughter. It was not that funny but something about his presence just made her want to smile. He chuckled along with her.

When she finally stopped laughing, there was a moment of comfortable silence as she basked in his presence. Under the glow of the soft yellow light, she could see shadows of almond-shaped eyes that curved upwards into moons of happiness.

His gaze, while obscured by orange, was warm and very, very tender. It made her heart quiver and melt into a puddle of goo. It was as if he were melting her very soul as if he were her—

The ding of the elevator's arrival broke them out of their moment and Amber was frantically clambering into the lift. She was embarrassed and confused by the mood in the air. He didn't make a move to get in, and so she moved to press the button that led to her floor.

"What's your name?" He called.

"Oh!" Amber was embarrassed. Shit, she forgot to give him her name. "Ambrosia. Amber, if you will. You?"

"Oliv-"

The elevator slammed close before he finished his words and Amber frowned feeling a little annoyed. Damn. She glared at the elevator. What a cock block.