Chapter 9

(There might be...suggestive things in here. More Mature things. I didn't plan on it happening nor am I fully ready to write it, but I need to move this story along lol.)

Aaron's POV

Unfinished cake laid on the little coffee table in front of my couch. The only thing lighting up the room was the TV, which was playing the show Supernatural. It was Emery's favorite show. No surprise there. However, while re-watching season one for my sake, he had fallen asleep. His small hoodied head was leaning against my shoulder. I, myself, had also gotten a little drowsy, but he had fallen into a deep sleep before I could even close my eyes.

I took this moment to observe this curious boy close up. I've learned a few things in the past week about Emery Adams. A lot more than anybody probably did, if what he said was true- that he had no friends. In the span of the week, I have learned that he's gay, has two siblings named Wednesday and Pugsley, has a cousin he'd rather avoid, is a very curious person, and he's super sweet. Like really sweet. He had bought me a small cake in exchange for his stay, which we ate together, and I have to say...the kid was really growing on me.

My mind was torn as I stared at his adorable sleeping face. I haven't been with anybody in a while, so this renewed warmth- someone snuggling into me again- was super mindblowing to me. I had almost forgotten what it was like to have a friend. And, looking at his small face, he made me crave to have a boyfriend again. Someone to hold, just as small as him. Someone to kiss. Somebody to love. But, on the other hand, I didn't just want anybody- I wanted Severus. I wanted to hold Severus again. I wanted to kiss Severus again. I wanted to be with Severus again.

I glanced at the coffee table, only to see a pen scribbling across the paper pad that I always carried around with me. Usually, it stayed on the coffee table while I was home. I had to stealthily grab Severus's note without waking the Sleeping Beauty on my shoulder, but I managed.

The note read: 

All you think of is the future and the past- not of the present. You have a beautiful boy, who needs you, sleeping on your shoulder. Yet all you think about is me. I may be your guardian, but I'm not his. That's your job.

"And who says that?" I whispered into the lifeless living room, " Your the one who can fight, not me."

You can't fight, but you can heal.

"And what can that do, Severin? Am I supposed to heal the bullies away?" I asked the air.

You have the passion to protect, just as I do...you just project it in different ways. I would fight to protect, but you would protect me by putting logic through my head in times that I lost it. You're striving to become a doctor. You would be protecting people from dying all of the time.

"Yeah, Severus. And the only reason I wanted to become a doctor is because I didn't want anybody to end up like me!" I was talking at normal volume now, " I didn't want them to have constant nightmares! I didn't want anybody else to remember the day their loved one died, and every single moment that led up to their death. I want to save them from what I went through. The depression. The counseling that I eventually quit. The process of pushing everyone away from you until you are a thousand miles from your family, in a city that you have never been to, and with no friends because you've turned into this hollow shell and you think everyone can see it!"

It took a little bit for Severus to pick up the pen.

Stop forming your life around what happened to me. And start forming your life around what's best for you.

With that, he tossed the pen into the kitchen, signaling that he didn't want to talk anymore.

I sighed, calming down. I looked to the side at Emery, who was still sound asleep. I guess that's another thing I've learned: he's a deep sleeper. I decided that I needed to go to bed as well and lifted his head off of my shoulder and gently laid it onto the couch. I grabbed the remote and switched off the TV.