chapter 31

His dark hair fell in soft waves and his eyes they're beautiful, dark and slanted, carrying a cosmos of shimmering stars, as he softly mumbled to Jimin.

Taehyung doesn't go in, he waits, he waits and waits until- until Jungkook is asleep. Soft breath coming out in little puffs, he waits until Jungkook falls asleep and won't remember this moment. With a sweet smile at the nurse, he walks in and sits next to Jungkook.

Gives the boy a final apology, no matter if he won't realize, gives the boy his heart, the one Taehyung cannot give him. Kim Taehyung is too broken and too bruised to ever deserve Jungkook, when he told Jungkook of his father, when he told him how broken he was-

Too- Too broken to be fixed even, Jungkook had held him in his arms and promised- promised to put him back together, to piece all the broken pieces of him into one. But he can't, no one can, and this is why he can't let Jungkook any closer to him.

That rover crash had been a startling realization, his mother flashing in his eyes, she'd died that way, on impact they said, her neck had snapped and all the sweet beautiful life that was in her gone- gone in a mere moment. She'd broken, Taehyung and yet he still rose from all of that to become whatever this mess of a person was.

But he'd still managed to move on, once was difficult enough, he couldn't do it twice and that was why Taehyung had to leave Jungkook, before Jungkook left him. Taehyung shuddered, he couldn't, he just couldn't do it a second time. Taking in a deep breath he said his farewell to Jungkook.

"You're this whole universe, Jeon Jungkook," Taehyung says, gently, sweetly, thumbs brushing lightly over Jungkook's skin. He would whisper the words against Jungkook's heart if he could. "You're the sun and stars- the whole night sky. All of it."

Taehyung chuckled, fingertips lightly skimming over Jungkook's skin "How could I deserve you, let alone lose you? You and your gorgeous heart. There's a supernova living in your soul."

Jungkook is a bright and a burning star and Taehyung has painted himself a night sky just to hold him, just to keep him close. But he can't, he can't keep this boy close, not the one who shines with a whole galaxy inside of him, not the one who's kisses feel like falling stars.

Taehyung has belonged to Jungkook since the moment they met, belonged to Jungkook in heart and mind, body and soul. Maybe that's what's so scary, terrifying even.

With Jungkook, the nights become warmer, the hours become softer and the world seems to still, seems to slow, and somehow it feels like all of Taehyung has just been waiting for Jungkook to come to him, to shine light through the kaleidoscope of Taehyung's broken soul and paint him in a vivid color.

It feels like forever is trapped in the cave of their joined hands, in the lines of Jungkook's soft laughter and in the sweet crinkle of his eyes.

It feels like love.

It is love.

And that is what makes Kim Taehyung leave Jeon Jungkook in the end, the bitersweet memory only love can cause.

"You are so-something I never thought I would need before I had you, I-I don't how but you light up even the darkest night sky. And just like that you even managed light up my heart" Taehyung softly cried, head falling onto Jungkook's hand as he pressed a soft kiss there.

"B-but for how long? How long can I keep you, without losing you? W-without breaking myself over you? For how long will you love me?" Taehyung sobbed, a sound so silent Jungkook would never wake up but if he did, it was a sight so heartbreaking, he would do anything to make a smile appear on Taehyung's face.

Taehyung softly cried for the man he'd never deserve, the one who had a heart of gold, the one who'd given his whole lunch to a child who couldn't afford it. The one with a mere few words could break him if he tried.

Maybe Taehyung already loved Jungkook, but there were worse things than love, trust being one, and well Taehyung didn't trust Jungkook to stay with him.

And he couldn't trust the boy to be safe, to not leave this world and with that take Taehyung's heart and burst it into a billion sparking pieces of dust that could never be put back together. He may love Jeon Jungkook but he didn't trust him, he'd been broken to much to ever really trust anyone, even his own brothers.

And in the end he loved Jeon Jungkook too much to ever tie him down to a man like him, if Jungkook wanted he could give Taehyung the whole world, because Jungkook was Taehyung's whole world.

But if Taehyung wanted, even as much as he wanted he could never give Jungkook the whole world, because he was not the whole world. Jungkook would be happier elsewhere, with someone who could give him everything he wanted, someone who wouldn't tie the boy down with ghosts of his past.

Kim Taehyung truly knew in the end if Jungkook broke him, he would not survive it. Knowing him he'd drown himself in a whole of alcohol, and eventually drink himself to death or some shit like that. But if he broke Jungkook, Jungkook who was a bright star, one that would continue shining for millions of year, one who didn't need Taehyung.

If Taehyung broke Jungkook, Jungkook would eventually heal and he'd move on unlike Taehyung who never could have, but if Taehyung let go and let himself stray far away, knowing Jungkook was still happy.

He'll be okay, in the end he'll manage, he would be fine as long as Jungkook continued
to be happy even if that happiness wasn't him. If he let Jungkook go, it'd be better for both of them.

Wiping the tears from his eyes, he leaned down and pressed a soft kiss to Jungkook's forehead, and then his lips, letting himself relish in the touch of his soulmate for one last time, with that he pulled away. "I will love you forever and always I wish you'd know that but" he sighed a lone tear falling down his cheek and mixing in with Jungkook.

"Let me go and I'll do the same"

On shaky legs he stood up, sparing on last look and the person who claimed the other half of his soul, he stepped out and let his emotions fly into the wind along with his heart.

He tried to let go.